• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides Breeding @ 8.0 ph

S

soh15

I have 2 females and 1 male. All are about 1.5 inches and very healthy. I understand 8.0 is high for them, but I do not have RO water so this is the best case right now. I also do not what to use PH adjusters and mess with my water. So does anyone have any history with breeding Apistogramma cacatuoides at 8.0ph. Also at what size do they start to breed? Thanks.

Griz

5 Year Member
Cacatuoides are one of the more pH tolerant Apistogramma. Mine breed regularly in a pH of 7.5 and I have read accounts of them breeding at 8.0. I believe that pH can affect the sex ratio of fry but I can't recall whether you would get more males or females with a high pH. I'm sure one of the more knowlegeable people here will chime in with the answer.

At 1.5 inches you should be seeing mating behaviour very soon if you haven't already. Takes some couples a while to raise a successful brood however.

depthc

5 Year Member
With a ph that high you wont have very big batches off fry. But if you successfuly breed them in those water conditions that would be pretty amazing.

Griz

5 Year Member
While 8.0 is high for them and certainly far from ideal, I was under the impression that it is certainly possible. You will have smaller batches and a high number of males but I do believe it can be done. Mine routinely raise small batches of fry in a pH of 7.5 and have done so at a slightly higher pH in the past.

A "breeder" wouldn't think of it, but a "hobbyist" might. Depends on what you wish to accomplish I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garavar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….