• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma bitaeniata location

fart

5 Year Member
Is it possible to see from a picture what location a Apistogramma bitaeniata comes from? Or do the bitaeniata from the different locations look very similar?

Iv seen pictuers of A. bitaeniata from Rio Tigre, that is very different from the ones i have. I dont know the location of my VF A. bitaeniata but im very curious of where it comes from.

Here is a picture of my dominant male
Apistogramma-bitaeniata-male.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Different populations of A. bitaeniata show different patterns on the caudal fin, metallic spots/streaks on the face, colors on the fins and body, and even the width and prominence of the abdominal stripe. Additionally, populations of A. bitaeniata are not as highly polychromatic as A. agassizii. I have photos of A. bitaeniata from about 20 different localities. Your form looks much like the commonly imported A. bitaeniata from Peru (Iquitos). It is a form found between the lower Río Ucayali and Río Ampiyacu. I couldn't give it a precise river system without actually knowing where it was collected.

Jacco

Hi Mike,
do you have those photo's somewhere on the web?
I love some of the colourform's of the biteaniata's but have trouble to know on forhand what to expect when the shop says which drainage they originate from.
Thx!
Jacco.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, I have no web site of my own. Many of the photos were sent to me by other hobbyists and I agreed not to distribute them without permission. Your best bet is to use a search engine with the species and location names and see what appears.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….