• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma alacrina

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Male Apistogramma tucurui not the best picture but you get the general idea of the shape of the fish. The color is better in person, hopefully I'll get my own camera soon and get some better shots.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll say it again. Please do NOT use "A. alacrina" for the Rotpunkt/Red-spot/Red-dot Apisto. The 2 forms are different in certain black markings. Even Dr. Kullander, who described A. alacrina & introduced the Rotpunkt in the aquarium literature in 1974, will not tell you that they are the same species.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike, I won't use the name anymore. Saw it the latest Aqualog and thought they had finally described the species. Hopefully they will soon.

scott

5 Year Member
those are great looking fish. i recently picked up a group of 6 a. rotpunkt from dave soares(great guy and great fish). i have been have trouble with 100% positive sexing. all six have the blue markings on the face to some extent. the three that i believe are female have black on the leading edge of the ventrals and also the head has a yellowish tint to it where as the other three the head is more grey. could anybody tell me if there are any other characteristics to sex these fish more definitively. i will take some pics tonight and post them asap. unfortunately my camera takes lousy aquarium pics, i think the shutter speed is too slow. its a sony cybershot.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I often wondered if he could accurately ID males and females of this species in particular. Some other Apistos don't show color and fin differences til older including this species. I have about 100 fry in various tanks right now of this fish that are 3/4", good luck sexing them. I am usually pretty good about sexing fish but these guys are hard until they are closer to 1"+.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….