• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii rio Tefe????

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I would like you to help me identify this wonderful fish, I bought it as Ap. Agassizii Rio Tefe but many people say that it is Ap. Sp Tefe, someone could help me identify it, thanks

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not positive, but I think it is not from the Rio Tefé. To me it looks more like a Netz/Net form found in the lower Amazon system. A. sp. Tefé has a dark wavy line formed by dark scale edges along the lower edge of each scale. A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) shows dark edges all around the scale and forms a net-like pattern, often looking like the scale pattern seen on pineapples.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
I'm not positive, but I think it is not from the Rio Tefé. To me it looks more like a Netz/Net form found in the lower Amazon system. A. sp. Tefé has a dark wavy line formed by dark scale edges along the lower edge of each scale. A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) shows dark edges all around the scale and forms a net-like pattern, often looking like the scale pattern seen on pineapples.
Ok Mike, then my agassizii is cf. netz not rio tefe ??? You could confirm it, please., thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Am I correct that these are domestic-bred fish? I ask because the scales on the caudal peduncle appear deformed. This usually is seen on hybrid species. It's possible that you have a cross between A. sp. Tefé and one of the geographic forms/species of A. agassizii. Try to photograph the male displaying to a mirror outside of the aquarium. Females of A. sp. Tefé and most geographic forms/species of A. agassizii are so similar that I cannot separate them.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Am I correct that these are domestic-bred fish? I ask because the scales on the caudal peduncle appear deformed. This usually is seen on hybrid species. It's possible that you have a cross between A. sp. Tefé and one of the geographic forms/species of A. agassizii. Try to photograph the male displaying to a mirror outside of the aquarium. Females of A. sp. Tefé and most geographic forms/species of A. agassizii are so similar that I cannot separate them.
Ok Mike, I will to tske photos with mirror, thanks

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hello Mike, I would like you to see how he looks in front of a mirror, I also wanted to tell you that this agassizii is F1 and was sold as sp, Tefe but the person who bought it requested help others to identify it then they said it was a agassizii from the river tefe, he sold it to me like agassizii rio tefe, the original seller He is from Thailand and his name is Mrarmadillo_thailand, thanks for your help
DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It doesn't look like a Tefé fish to me; more like A. cf. agassizii (Netz) - which on several occasions in the past was sold as a Tefé form. I would be more comfortable with my ID if the fish were older. The Netz form develops extremely long tips on the dorsal and anal fins, compared to A. sp. Tefé, and also develops a short narrow, almost streamer-like caudal tip.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
It doesn't look like a Tefé fish to me; more like A. cf. agassizii (Netz) - which on several occasions in the past was sold as a Tefé form. I would be more comfortable with my ID if the fish were older. The Netz form develops extremely long tips on the dorsal and anal fins, compared to A. sp. Tefé, and also develops a short narrow, almost streamer-like caudal tip.
Thanks for the info and your help Mike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….