• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii fry die off??

starforsaken

5 Year Member
Hello,

For the most part I have had success raising all the apistos I breed... However, these double red agassizii seem to be a pain.

They always eat their eggs so I have to artificially hatch them, and I found that their eggs fungused easily. Using fungus cure and darkening the tank, I end up with 0 fungus.

So anyway I had a batch of about 25 fry in a 10 gallon tank where they have been eating and living happily for about a month. They have a box filter and a heater set to about 78 or 80F. I did a 50% water change about 3 days ago and they seemed fine after. The water I changed wtih by the time I got to their tank was a bit cold. However, they were swimming around and eating the next two days without problem. This morning I went to feed my fish and found like half of hte fry dead or half dead.

Any ideas???? Immediately I thought it was the water change. but I did that on saturday and they died this morning!

depthc

5 Year Member
Is there a heater in the tank? If youve been doing water changes regularly then water quality isnt the problem.

Andrew

cdawson

5 Year Member
starforsaken said:
Hello,

For the most part I have had success raising all the apistos I breed... However, these double red agassizii seem to be a pain.

They always eat their eggs so I have to artificially hatch them, and I found that their eggs fungused easily. Using fungus cure and darkening the tank, I end up with 0 fungus.

So anyway I had a batch of about 25 fry in a 10 gallon tank where they have been eating and living happily for about a month. They have a box filter and a heater set to about 78 or 80F. I did a 50% water change about 3 days ago and they seemed fine after. The water I changed wtih by the time I got to their tank was a bit cold. However, they were swimming around and eating the next two days without problem. This morning I went to feed my fish and found like half of hte fry dead or half dead.

Any ideas???? Immediately I thought it was the water change. but I did that on saturday and they died this morning!

You use a tap water filter don't you??? I know because of all the rain we had our chlorine dosage go up and the calcium levels raised as well. It's possible the temperature change was a bit much for the bio filter and caused a mini cycle. The sudden spike of ammonia, even though small could have easily wiped out a batch of fry. How large of a temperature swing was it?

cdawson

5 Year Member
starforsaken said:
In retrospect, I think it was like a 5-10 degree change. We hadn't noticed the hot water ran out...

That really shouldn't make a difference then, a 5-10 degree change wouldn't make that large of a temperature swing in the tank overall. I'm puzzled.
Or was that temperature swing in the tank?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….