• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Ph / Courtship Behaviour

W

Wadie025

Please can anyone help me in relation to the wonderful ( yet confusing ) world of breeding Apisto's. I need to clarification of the following points :

a) Breeding Ph for Apisto Aggi's & Apisto Borelli's

I have recently sent up 2 no 30 gall tanks as apisto breeding tanks. One tank contains 1 Male and 3 Female Aggi the other is the same ratio of Borelli. The intention is to breed both varieties. Though i need the following clearing up for me. What is the right Ph for the tanks for each for breeding?

I have bought books, internet searches and all seem to give me conflicting information. The advice given in these sources seem to range for Ph 5.0 to a Ph 7.5. Soft water through to Hard Water.

Please can someone help, as at the moment the current Ph is around 6.5 -6.8. All other parimeters are low with the water being soft 6<.

b) Apisto Aggi Courtship Behaviour

My second question is in relation to the courtship behaviour of the aggi. For as mentioned i have one tank setup with aggi. Over the past week or so i have noticed that one particular female has established her territory in my java moss ( Placed on slate covered with a hairnet ). She has cleared a particular area of this site and tends to sit and wait. Every so often the male will arrive but not enter. Also when she he patrolling outside this area the male will arrive and every so often a bit of tail flicking / bending occurs. The males black and red dorsel fin errect and it seems that both are intresting ( Female has been yellow colour with promanent black stripe for several days ). But so far no signs, no eggs, and the male is not entering the area inside the moss. I know that the norm is for the male to provide his stuff, and the female fans it into her area to fertisle the eggs, but this has not happened.

Can anyone tell me if this is the start of courtship, How long being sign of mating, or is this just standard non sexual behaviour of the aggi's.

Excluding the yellow colouration is there any other phyiscal way of knowing if the female is laydened with eggs ready to produce.

Please help a beloved Apisto lover in his quest for fullfillment
:(

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I have juvenile apisto Borelli and the most common thing I have heard is that they need soft water with a PH around neutral. If anyone has to say anything to critisize mine go ahead but that is what I think will work.

Also Wadie025 how do you get you ph at that 6.8 PH state. Is that normal tap for you or do you do something different?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….