• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. Nijsseni.. Carnage ?

Xanathos

5 Year Member
I have a very strange story to tell you, if anyone have advice / clues on it, please tell me.

I recently acquired ( 3 month ago ) 9 apisotogramma nijsseni wild, 2 male and 7 females. I kept them in a 3 feet front tank , wich contained 55 gallons. The tank was filled with very soft, acidic water from my RO unit and it was heavily planted. All was fined, they were eating like pigs, displaying all the colors they are capable of and fighting each other , in a few words, they seemed to be very healthy. There was 8 cardinals and a few catfish, so they were quite alone in this big tank.

Problems began when a couple was formed and spawned... In the first days, all was fine: the female took care of the area near the spawning spot and the male took care of protectin a large territory, nearly half the tank. Then, after 2-3 days of free swimming and artemias feeding, my other apisto began to die with no reason. No symptoms, no weird behavior, I just found them dead, with no marks, no bruises or anything else. I thought it was maybe because of my water quality, but if adults were to die from this, the fry would have died too ( IMO ) since a fry is generally much more fragile.

The carnage went on until there were only the happy couple left and few cardinals. All catfishes were found dead, like the other Nijsseni. I must say that my dominant male was huge, about 6-7 cm. Since that, I moved the couple in a 14 gallons tanks. All seemed fine, but I found the female dead by the next morning. The tank was filled with water from the other tank....

Is it possible that this male killed every other in the tank ?? Is it common for Nijsseni to act this way ? Or was it a very, very bad luck??

Any answers would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot !
Philippe

Neil

Did your other fish end up dead without you seeing any prior chasing or hiding. It is entirely possible that 1 nijsenni male could do all that. I have had really mellow nijsenni before, but I have alo had a couple of real terrors :evil: :twisted: The first time that I ever used a tank divider with holes in it to spawn an apisto, it was a nijsenni. And the first (and only time) that I have ever seen an apisto systematically hunt down tetras in his tank, corner them, and eventually kill them, it was also a nijsenni. They can definitely be tough on tankmates, if you get the right fish.
Neil

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Thanks for answering me !

I'm kinda "happy" to hear that... I mean, now I can get a good idea on why there where such a carnage. I saw the male chasing the other tank mate while protecting the breeding territory, but I nvr seen him kill any fish. I would just wake up every morning to find another 1-2 dead :(

I isolated this single male in a 14 gallons now and i'm looking for some female to put with, just to try again. I think i'll remove the male after they spawn, this time...

Thanks again
Phil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….