• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto lifespan~

Api-Mom

5 Year Member
Hi~ Nice to Meey you..
I am from Korea, South..

There is lots of argue about apisto lifespan..
I have trouble with sudden death of my Apisto..

Someone said Api is anuual fish.. I agree with this comments.
Also I did not properly treat them, too

Today morining I saw Mendezi female's stomach was filled with abdominal
dropsy.. :(

I really hope that I saw their fry. But mabey female will be die soon.
I have to give up to see fry.. :(

It makes me embrassed that apisto die with no reason externally..

I just succeed in breeding Trifasciata Guapore and Fresa(Eremnopyge)..

My Diplotaenia male is still a widower about 4months. But I can get female from Japan. But Price is very high. So I give up..

Have a nice day~~

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In their natural habitat Apistogramma are usually annual fish. Dr. Uwe Römer studied the life span of apistos. In the aquarium they can live up to 5 years, but 2 years is more common. Most apistos either die within the first 2 weeks of coming home or they live for a long time. In my tanks, if apistos have survived the first month, they usually live for 2 - 3 years.

I recommend keeping new apistos in a quarantine tank for at least 4-6 weeks. The water should be clean, soft and slightly acid at 25-27ºC. They should be started on live foods. Artemia or Daphnia (nauplii or adult) & mosquito larvae are better than worms; they are closer to a wild fish's natural diet. Worms can be too 'rich' for their system and tubifex worms can carry parsites & disease causing bacteria.) Later try to get them to eat frozen & manufactured foods. If they look healthy after 6 weeks they should be ready live in breeding or community aquaria. After quarantine they should be placed in a tank of suitable size (size depends on the species) with many hiding places. Regular water changes are important. Feeding a varied diet helps, too.

Neil

Api-Mom,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Someone said Api is anuual fish.. I agree with this comments.
Also I did not properly treat them, too

As Mike has stated, proper diet and careful attention to water quality is very important with apistos. You are managing them well if you get 2 to 3 years out of them, but that is not uncommon.

Today morining I saw Mendezi female's stomach was filled with abdominal
dropsy..

I really hope that I saw their fry. But mabey female will be die soon.
I have to give up to see fry..

It makes me embrassed that apisto die with no reason externally..

Sorry to hear about that. Mendezi, although rare, is IMO a fairly stable species, but we have all had fish that develop problems for no apparent reason. It is frustrating to not know the problem. The best you can do is to follow Mike's advise and realize things like that happen to the most careful aquarists.

I just succeed in breeding Trifasciata Guapore and Fresa(Eremnopyge)..

Congratulations.

My Diplotaenia male is still a widower about 4months. But I can get female from Japan. But Price is very high. So I give up..

Yes, diplotaenia is about the most expensive apisto out there. They can be bred though, so it is just a matter of how much you want them. Look at it this way - If you breed them, they will pay for themselves quickly. At least that is the way I con myself into rationalizing the purchase of an expensive fish :wink:

Neil

Api-Mom

5 Year Member
Thank you

Thank you for your comments, Mr. Mike and Neil ^^;

Your advice is really helpful to me..

Thank you again.. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….