• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto identification

Discus Man

5 Year Member
They came in as contaminants in a shipment of wild apistos to Big Als in Kitchener. I spotted them as being odd looking and bought four. One passed on soon after I bought them the others have been in my community tank for 4.5 months now.
The GH of the tank is 4, KH is 4, pH is 7.6 and all three seem to be fantastic.
I wish I could achieve blackwater values in a tank as I am pretty sure I have two males and a female.
The only thing that doesn't match uapesi are the tails. The tail is still rounded.
Any other votes?

Neil

I had a strain of iniridae that had pretty red lips, but there was more red in other parts of the body as well. All the other signs look like they are there for iniridae. That is a tough group to ID sometimes though. Regardlee, you have a very soft-water fish there. You may want to reduce your values substantially when it comes time for breeding.
Neil

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Thanks Neil, I thought iniridae but wanted a vote by someone who owned one before.

As for the water values, I can reduce the Gh and KH to 0 with ease but the pH cannot be moved from 7.6
My tank has the uncanny ability to remain at 7.6 despite anything I do.
Even if I use 100% R/O water the pH will rise to exactly 7.6 in a few days.

Lake Erie sand... bad choice.
Therefore I do not expect them to breed, (I guess there's still hope) I just wanted toknow what they were so as to enjoy them in the community tank.
Thanks for the help.

Aquatico

5 Year Member
You usually dont see iniridae mixed with other Apistos. They are from Colombia. And are collected in specific areas. Now uapesi is very often found in shipments from the Rio Negro. Any idea what was in with them?

Don Atkinson

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….