• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto help, once again

stina

5 Year Member
Can you please help me again?
I have bought 3 pairs of apisto(trifasciata, nijsseni, agasizzi)
This was a mistake.
My nijsseni has bullyed agassizzi to death.
My pair of trifaciata started to look like 2 males... and i have separated those two.
One day i have been gifted with pair of young pale(later i realized they where "Orange Flash") cacatuoides(i didn't like it but, well, hell - it is apisto!) - female was sick, and my male just died on me without any visible markings...i was confused...
With my totaly BAD start with apistos, i have allmost decided to quit on them, and maybe go back to my first love, catfish.
And then my nijsseni spawned.
Now i have them in 40L tank with bogwood, some pots(some broken, some, not), java moss and riccia.
And yestrday i was in LFS and i couldn't not noticed 4 beutyful young cacatuoides - they where amazing - i have seen such coloration only on this site!!
I looked them carefully, and 3 looked definetly like males, and only one was kind of whitish with not elongated fins, so i have bought that and one dark male(i think that is called triple red - pics soon)
Without my nijsseni in 200l tank, my male trifasciata started to swim around, now he is free of bullyinig, but he has started to terrorize my young cactuoides.
Can some one tell my, are any of those apistos that i bought peacfull????
What apistos can live together in 200l tank, without chasing each other all the time!??!?
Sorry for such a long letter and for my bad english... :cry:
regards

Apistt_ed

There are many things that can lead to the Trifasciata chasing your young cacatuoides... Trifasciatas are aggressive but I believe that it is because he has become used to being the king of the tank and when you introduced the new cacatuoides in there, they were in his territory. Here's what you do... next time you do a water change, re-arrange the set of the tank. Move things around so his territory is broken up. Add a few more clay pots if needed and maybe a few more plants so even if he decides to chase your new fish around, they can excape. Eventually, your cacatuoides will outgrow him and he will need to hide! Trifasciatas grow a whole lot slower than cacatuoides... so it wouldn't be for long. This always happens to me when I introduce new fish into my apisto community tanks. Cichlids will usually have a temper of some sort... there's no getting around that... but to get them to coexist somewhat peacefully is great when it happens! (did I just have the words cichlids and coexist peacefully in the same sentence?) :wink: Good luck!

john
oh yea and Nijsenni are very aggressive! I haven't seen one that does not have an ego of some kind... but CONGRATS on the spawn!! lucky you. I'm just waiting for my A. baenshi to grow so they can spawn too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….