• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto confusion?

CreamCrop

Hello fellow apistogramma enthusiasts! I purchased 2 double red apistos a few months ago hoping to have a pair to later find out that i had two males. I then returned and got what i was told to be two female double reds. As color is developing i think that i might have a pair of apisto pertensis... yellow in coloring with black stripes and no bright red fins... I am a little confused. i have seen pictures of female double reds with other male reds and they look almost identical just a little smaller with similar red fins.. do some females turn a yellowish color? And if i have two different types of apistos can they get along? will they mate or just kill each other? a community of apistos might be cool! Can i get a couple different types together? Can i put trifasciata dwarf cichlid and Hongsloi reds together at all? thanks guys!

CreamCrop

doublered.jpg
] This is what my male double reds look like

pertensis.jpg
This is what my second pair are turning into(i think but could be wrong). And if you look at the tip of the back fin there is a little of the red pattern on it(?)

doublered2.jpg
but then i also found this picture that shows apparently a female double red cacatuoides.. but kinda looks like the pertensis.. almost identical

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The bottom 2 photos look like females to me. The bottom one is definitely A. cacatuoides for sure (just not as bright as is the more colorful female). Too many commercial breeders don't select/cull the lower quality fish. To them quantity is more important than quality. This is often a problem with domestically produced color strains.

Hmoobthor

most of the color of on the fish are degrading but...they are female. Male double rred or any strain today I get seem to lack a bit of color in the tail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….