• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap Wilhelmi and Ap New Pulchra

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Doesn't look like the same fish to me, the pulchra have the definate pulchra tail. The one pic is on both areas, that may be an error or (I can't read the text) it may be showing it for comparison.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Discus Man. A. sp. Abacaxis (= Wilhelmi) & A. cf. pulchra (Rio Marimari) are closely related species, but are easily distinguished by the pattern of the caudal fin. The top photo on both pages shows A. sp. Abacaxis. If I translate it correctly, the author is comparing the new A. cf. pulchra (Rio Marimari) with A. sp. Abacaxis, which had been discovered by Horst Linke & Mario Wilhelm in January 1999 & later imported into Japan by Bitter (of Bitter Aquatics). He is using the photo of Abacaxis to compare that species with that of the Marimari form. A. sp. Abacaxis is found in the Rio Abacaxis drainage, while A. cf. pulchra (Rio Marimari) comes from a tributari of the lower Abacaxis. They are isolated from the Rio Madeira, home for A. pulchra, for the most part & appear have recently changed into different forms.

Apistt_ed

there could be mistakes but they are similar! That site has great pictures though ey? the same could have been said about A. Brevis and A. Breitbanden (broadband) on the site too! some of the Best pictures I've seen ever!!! Love that site! I'm getting jealous of all these great fishes that WE don't get here in the states!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All of these fish are available to suppliers in the USA. The only problem is that most US hobbyists will not pay the price asked (I call it the "American discount store mentality"). Therefore, our importers do not buy them. In Japan they are willing to pay the price, so they get the fish. If you really want the fish, Rayon Vert Aqua will be selling them internationally soon, if they are not doing it now.

Apistt_ed

Yes, the US market is a little "weird" when it comes to getting certain apistos. I've noticed that $$ is a factor but I personally wouldn't mind paying a "reasonable price" for fish that aren't frequently seen around here... I've heard that Rayon might be sending/selling fish into the American aquarists sooner or later too. What I would like to know is if there has been anyone who has bought from them and what the costs would be with the importing costs and all?!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

For me, it is the same species, maybe another local color form.
But the pattern in the caudal is also possible at A. sp. Wilhelmi/Abacaxis. Like A. pulchra, it is a polychromatic species. And the specimen without a red tail have these patterns in the caudal fin... it's almost the same at A. Abacaxis and A. pulchra. So why make a difference?

greetings,
Rolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….