• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Mendezi & Ap. Paucisquamis

mervin

5 Year Member
Greetings all !!!

will be going apisto hunting to HongKong and Taipei soon and hope to obtain the 2 above fishes.

however i do have a problem......how to tell them apart....

would appreciate some help there....

thanks a millions.

cheers,
mervin

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. paucisquamis (very rare in the hobby): small size (male 6 cm); 1 abdominal stripe almost as wide as the lateral band; dorsal fin very low & even; [/b]prominent black anal spot

A. mendezi (more common in the hobby): medium size (males 7 cm); 2 to 3 abdominal stripes much narrower than lateral band; dorsal fin not as low (similiar in height to A. agassizii); black anal spot not very prominent

mervin

5 Year Member
Ap. Paucisquamis rare - I know....haven not seen any before but the Taiwanese Website says that they have it in stock !!!! hahaha !!!!
me drooling !!!!!!!!

thanks Mike, will keep those points in mind when i go shopping.

cheers
mervin

Neil

mervin,

Although they are rare in the hobby, I have seen them a few times recently, but they command a high price. I just got an order from Germany from a breeder that has them, but not available at the time of my order, so I missed out. But I got some other really nice stuff.

I think that Oliver has some available, if I remember correctly.

I would be suprised if you were able to find both species in Hong Kong. Good luck in your search.

Neil

mervin

5 Year Member
hello Neil,
thanks for the tip but Canada and Germany is just too far away.........

Hong Kong and Taiwan is just a 3.5-4 hrs flight time away and u will be amazed what they have over there !!!!!!

however i must agreed wth u about the super high prices !!! but since i have to go over for work.....might as well come back wth some apistos !!!!!!!!!!!

here is the link to the site i was talking about -
http://www.u2u.idv.tw/stone/htm/list.htm

thanks again !!!!!

mervin

5 Year Member
hi there cklos,
thanks for the site but i'm in LA now and will be going down to Taipei in 2 days time.

unforunately, Kaohsiung is rather out of the way.

anyway, thanks again !!!
cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….