• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Gephyra or Ap. Agasszii?

blueblue

5 Year Member
On p.1241, Uwe's Cichlid Atlas I:
For the fish as shown in the picture
(the bottom one), it looks very much like
the Ap. Gephyra with spots in the upper half of
its caudal fin. So, should it be an Ap. Gephyra
or an Ap. Agasszii? Please advise. :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on what I see, the photo is of A. gephyra - the combination of a continuous lateral band in threat display, red edge on dorsal fin, short tips on ventral, dorsal & anal fins, gephyra-like tail fin with spotted internal area & narrow submarginal band, and (apparently) unscaled ventral area are diagnostic for this species. This is a photo provided by Glaser. The identification given, as with many in their Aqualog Southamerican Cichlids II book, appears to be incorrect.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot Mike and it is a big error as many local retailers here follow Uwe's atlas and label this kind of fish as either Ap. Agasszii or "Ap. Agasszii - Gephyra" which is very confusing... :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
BTW, are there any cases among hobbyists reporting that crossbreedings between Ap. Agasszii and Ap. Gephyra have taken place??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are several error in Römer's Atlas. I don't know of a book yet published that is error free. I know of no published crossbreeding experiments. I wouldn't be surprised if it can occur and that the offspring are viable & fertile. I consider A. gephyra similar to A. cf. agassizii Broad Black Caudal Edge (both are very closely related to the holotype form of A. agassizii) in that they are both sibling species of the A. agassizii superspecies.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks and agree. Despite some errors in places, Uwe's atlas is undoubtedly an excellent book for all apisto. hobbyists :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….