• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Viejita Gold

Van Ty

Hi All
Could you help me to clearly understand? I just had two Ap. fish as the pictures, and seller told me that is Ap. Viejita Gold.
I read some topic which is relate to this fish, and I am confusing whether they are Viejita or other special of Macmasteri?
This is first time I see them and I am not sure they are a couple or not.
Besides that, I plan to breeding them, If you have experience to do it, please share me, like PH, KH, GH, temperature, etc,.... I had experience to breeding in Ap. Cacatouides, Bolerii, But with this fish is first time.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• z2461641678146_a03b2854e47eba9a647725d3b92f2be5.jpg
    z2461641678146_a03b2854e47eba9a647725d3b92f2be5.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 281
  • z2461641685262_6a739bfa0c6ff225bc2be2aed196b513.jpg
    z2461641685262_6a739bfa0c6ff225bc2be2aed196b513.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 237

MacZ

They are a domestic strain of A. macmasteri. Tradenames are made up by breeders, wholesalers and/or retailers and they can name any strain whatever they want, in some countries they can even secure rights to a certain name.
Real A. viejita are relatively closely related to A. macmasteri, but are also rarely seen, so the tradenames for tankbred strains containing the word "viejita" are mainly designed to impress prospective buyers and raise prices.

That said: Domestic strains are unfuzzy about food and water parameters. You can keep them as their wild A. macmasteri-counterparts or ignore everything and keep them in whatever parameters you have. I'd just say pH-max is 8.5, GH not over 15°, KH not over 10°. With a standard average 25°C you are also doing fine. They will do fine in the parameters you have for A. cacatuoides and A. borellii.

It can be really hard to sex domestic strains, but the one that's displaying in the pictures is definitely a male.

Van Ty

They are a domestic strain of A. macmasteri. Tradenames are made up by breeders, wholesalers and/or retailers and they can name any strain whatever they want, in some countries they can even secure rights to a certain name.
Real A. viejita are relatively closely related to A. macmasteri, but are also rarely seen, so the tradenames for tankbred strains containing the word "viejita" are mainly designed to impress prospective buyers and raise prices.

That said: Domestic strains are unfuzzy about food and water parameters. You can keep them as their wild A. macmasteri-counterparts or ignore everything and keep them in whatever parameters you have. I'd just say pH-max is 8.5, GH not over 15°, KH not over 10°. With a standard average 25°C you are also doing fine. They will do fine in the parameters you have for A. cacatuoides and A. borellii.

It can be really hard to sex domestic strains, but the one that's displaying in the pictures is definitely a male.
Hi MacZ
Thank for your information. It is useful for me.
By the way, I have one more question. Can we have a hybridization between this fish and normal A. Macmasteria. Because I bought 1 couple (above pictures), but one of them was dead. So I want to breed with normal A. Mac. Do you have a experience?

MacZ

As it's the same species, just different breeding strains, it's no hybridisation. Question is, whether both prospective partners can still identify each other as the same species and the right sexes. Cichlids use their colouration to communicate and for display so they might eventually not be interested in each other at all.

I have no experience with that species or breeding domestic strains, though.

Van Ty

As it's the same species, just different breeding strains, it's no hybridisation. Question is, whether both prospective partners can still identify each other as the same species and the right sexes. Cichlids use their colouration to communicate and for display so they might eventually not be interested in each other at all.

I have no experience with that species or breeding domestic strains, though.
Yeap. Many thanks for your explainations,
Hope you can give more information when I post new question in this forum.
Have a nice day.

Andy452

Hi MacZ
Thank for your information. It is useful for me.
By the way, I have one more question. Can we have a hybridization between this fish and normal A. Macmasteria. Because I bought 1 couple (above pictures), but one of them was dead. So I want to breed with normal A. Mac. Do you have a experience?
I have experience breeding agassizii. At time to ensure strong genetics I out cross so for example buy another male to breed with my existing females.
I have also bred "natural" colour mainly blueish female agassizii with a "triple red" male - they bred successful the colour of the fry vary some more red than others.
So breeding different strains on the same speicies is possible though my experience is with agassizii not macmasteri
BTW if you need a general Apistogramma breeding guide this is a good overview

Van Ty

I have experience breeding agassizii. At time to ensure strong genetics I out cross so for example buy another male to breed with my existing females.
I have also bred "natural" colour mainly blueish female agassizii with a "triple red" male - they bred successful the colour of the fry vary some more red than others.
So breeding different strains on the same speicies is possible though my experience is with agassizii not macmasteri
BTW if you need a general Apistogramma breeding guide this is a good overview
Hi Andy, thank for your share,
I will refer it ^^

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….