• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone know about the Gaint A.agassizii

kribs

5 Year Member
HI
has anyone ever kept this fish and also can someone tell me where i can find a pic of these fish.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Dunno, but I have been keeping Apisto's for about 20 years and never heard of a 'giant' Apisto. If someone has them listed, they may mean that they are fully grown as compaired to juveniles. All Apisto's I have ever heard of are 'dwarfs' and that means under 4"TL.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Seen em... nothing different

I have seen Giant Cacs and Giant aggies.. a normal male aggie tends to be two inches not including tail... these giants are about the size of a large Bitaeniata male (four inches)... Same with the cacs, both variants were bred for size in Germany and showed up in Toronto this year. (Major health problems were evident in the fish- deformed spines etc. )
IMO avoid any animal obviously inbred for size or colour... i.e. reds or orange flash cacs are fine, triple reds tend to be inbred. I would only buy something like that from a very reputable breeder, never a LFS... my two cents

kribs

5 Year Member
HI guys
thanks for your reply. i found out about the fish. It is a wild fish. compare to aggies this grows 4.5 to 5 inches that is the size that they have caught them in the wild. Oliver has some i am thinking of getting them there is also a pic in tropical fish hobbyist from this month or last months issue.
thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….