• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another id hoping female macmasteri

They are still small but hoping I've got macmasteris to go with the males I already have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 321

gerald

5 Year Member
I can't distinguish their sex yet. Put some dark-colored sand in, or paint the tank bottom, and then you'll probably start seeing their adult colors sooner than you will over a light-color bottom.

I can't distinguish their sex yet. Put some dark-colored sand in, or paint the tank bottom, and then you'll probably start seeing their adult colors sooner than you will over a light-color bottom.
This is just a holding tank. But I'll do that, I'll put some blasting grit in there later and see what happens. Any idea of what they are?

They look like juvenile A. macmasteri - or some other macmasteri-complex species. Under what name were they sold?
The seller wasn't sure. But I posted a pic the other day of what I was suppose to be getting and this is what I got. I was hoping macmasteri as I purchased 2 makes under the name agassizi

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Could be, but I highly doubt it. While both A. macmasteri & A. hongsloi are both macmasteri-group species, they belong in different species-complexes within the macmasteri-group. Hongsloi-complex species will show a broader lateral band with a more even border on the top and bottom and often shows lighter colored scales in the interior part of the band than to edges. This color pattern produces a ladder-like pattern.

Could be, but I highly doubt it. While both A. macmasteri & A. hongsloi are both macmasteri-group species, they belong in different species-complexes within the macmasteri-group. Hongsloi-complex species will show a broader lateral band with a more even border on the top and bottom and often shows lighter colored scales in the interior part of the band than to edges. This color pattern produces a ladder-like pattern.

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming for macmasteri as I have 2 males that need companions

A couple better pictures. The biggest one and a shot with a smaller one behind

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 299
Here's a few Pics if the still unidentified apistos. Each picture is of a different fish. The bigger one has one of the others just hanging in a top corner now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 271
This picture is of the bigger one, appears to have some red showing down the side and ending at the tail. The yellow one ended up dieing. Not sure why, looked fine when I pulled it and the other two are healthy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
Pretty certain this is a female, still trying to determine what she is though. When she flares te beginning of the fin is black and in these pictures u can see some if the black which gets my her darker as the other fish in the tank comes near. Also one of the 2 seems to be quite a digger, has dug out two different corners almost like a fox hole

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
I'm just gonna keep posting pics I can get hopefully until someone knows what it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 294

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….