• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

All The Questions I have before getting Apistos

HookedOnFish

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on apistogramma.com and I've always loved these creatures and accepting them for a hobby to as a breeding project. I have a pH of 7.8 and I have RO water installed in our kitchen becuase we have really hard water. How can I get the pH down, and I do have peat anything else I can add to make the water softer and pH down a little a lot? I have a 5.5 gal and a 29, 75, 150 but the 5.5 is the apistogramma breeding tank. Is that enough tank size? Since, I'm using a strong light I'll grow LOTS of plants for the female if she gets beaten. I want to start off with more of a harder whitewater higher pH and not to soft water fish in case I screw up. I will order these dream apistogramma speicas fish form the ones I want the most to the last on my dream list: 1. Pandouro 2. Agassizi red 3. Bore ill yellow face 4. Cokatuadies. Are these hardy and good for spawning in harder water (if I screw up my RO is not heated and is very cold) are these good choices for a beginner?

Are these good choices for fish and other recommendations?
(I've done my research I just want to see our opinions on this.)

gerald

5 Year Member
Borellii is probably the best for small tanks, higher pH & hardness, and cool temp.
5 gal is awfully small though - you'll have to watch them closely and be ready to move one or the other if trouble erupts.

HookedOnFish

Ya Im using a 5.5 so it's easier to change pH I'm thinking of tearing down my reef tank so I can make it a grow out for the apisto babies

gerald

5 Year Member
Assuming your RO is working, there should be very little alkalinity (KH) left in your water, so it should take very little acid to bring it down. Peat and oak leaves should do the trick, but if want an immediate response you can add a commercial product like "pH Down" or DIY recipe (citric acid, vinegar, HCl. etc) Just remember that pH in water with low KH will continue dropping due to acid-producing bacterial metabolism.

gerald

5 Year Member
No, you can use a lots of peat and leaves - they wont drop the pH too fast or too far. If you use any OTHER acids besides peat and leaves, then be careful because they might cause an extreme pH drop. Unless you're trying to breed obligate blackwater species (none of the species you listed) it's probably safer to keep pH in the range of 5.5 to 7.0. Keep in mind that pH in very soft, low-conductivity watern (RO water) is naturally unstable, and not really all that meaningful, since a very small shift in the ion balance can cause an apparent big shift in pH -- significant to a pH meter, but not too significant biologically.

HookedOnFish

It is very hard to find a Pr of Borelli online I am so it will take lots of time before a pair pops up online. So, during this time I'm experimenting on pH swings in he tank to get a general idea of what happens about acid and overall pH.

HookedOnFish

I am going to use the 5.5 for a breeding tank but due to my light I can have thick growth of vegetation. The plants will also suck up nutrients in the tank created by the fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….