• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on species

Apsnake

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on a couple of species of apisto. I have kept cacatuiodes, nijsenni, hongsloi and borelli and currently have 1:3 trifasciata and 1:2 agassizi. The trifasciata are in a 200l with no other fish and agassizi in a 60l. I have another 60l I would like to put a pair or 1:2 ratio in. My lfs is brilliant for dwarf cichlids so I have a lot at my disposal but I'm interested in A.baenschi, A.viejita and new in A.atahualpo? I would like to know what numbers would be 'ideal' for these 3 species to breed. I understand most apistos breed harem style but If like trifasciata they need high female ratio I will have to think as the tank is 60l so limited on space. Thanks in advance

chris1805

5 Year Member
A. Baenschi should be kept in pairs. I would not advise keeping them in a 60L. If they get along great, you won't find any problems, but if they don't get along you are in trouble with only a 60L tank.

Apsnake

I do understand all of the above species need to be in a pair. Maybe my question wasn't worded right. What I would like to know is which species require more than one female. Most apistos do well in harems as I understand but ideally I would like a pair. When I bought my trifasciata they started as a pair in a 20long and the male was so aggressive I had to separate them. I don't want this to happen again so here we are. I appreciate your answer but not quite what I'm looking for. I need to know the optimum numbers for these 3 species regardless of tank size, I have said its a 60l but I do have a larger tank also so I just want numbers and any personal experiences with these fish thanks again

chris1805

5 Year Member
Tank size doesn't matter, Baenschi makes a pair bond. A male will breed with only 1 female, other females will be killed. But when buying a male and female it is always the question wether or not they will bond. If they bond your tank size is fine. If they don't bond it's not. Maybe this clarifies my answer a bit. Your trifasciata is polygamous, were Baenschi is monogamous.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Most apistos do well in harems as I understand but ideally I would like a pair. When I bought my trifasciata they started as a pair in a 20long and the male was so aggressive I had to separate them.
I agree, Apistogramma trifasciata males are very intolerant of each other, and very hard on the females, if you have space, the more females the better. Really you need a 12" square of bottom area for each female, and some spare for the male.

I've never tended to have much success with one male: two females, due to female:female aggression, but I kept one male: seven female Apistogramma cacatuoides without any problem.

I think if there is a large difference in male:female size then that species is likely to be strongly harem forming.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, of the 3 species I would only keep a pair of "A. viejita" (most likely a domestic strain of A. macmasteri) in a 60L tank. A. atahualpa is large and highly aggressive. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a pair/trio in less than a 1m tank. A bonded pair of A. baenschi can live together in a 60L tank, but breeding (100+ fry/spawn) makes it too small. I wouldn't put an untested group in such a small tank unless I wanted mayhem to break out.

Apsnake

Personally, of the 3 species I would only keep a pair of "A. viejita" (most likely a domestic strain of A. macmasteri) in a 60L tank. A. atahualpa is large and highly aggressive. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a pair/trio in less than a 1m tank. A bonded pair of A. baenschi can live together in a 60L tank, but breeding (100+ fry/spawn) makes it too small. I wouldn't put an untested group in such a small tank unless I wanted mayhem to break out.
I am inclined to agree that they are probably domestic macmasteri as I have recently seen photos of true viejita. They came in an order from Peru, as it stands I'm happy with either baenschi or viejita I would just like peace of mind that I won't have carnage from day one. I have a 55glong with 4 trifasciata but my aim is to raise the spawns of any of my apistos in this tank and regime accordingly. I have two 20glong one for a pair and one cycled with ottos if any fights happen also 30l with a couple ottos. Hopefully this will help if there are problems! So to clarify for me 100% you would recommend the fake viejita over baenschi? Even if I have room for 100+ fry in another tank? I worry about serious aggression honestly but if it's because of numbers of fry you don't recommend I would happily get baenschi. I just feel more comfortable deciding with a second and probably more professional opinion. Seriously though guys thank you this is really helpful info you dudes are great!

Apsnake

Hi all, I agree, Apistogramma trifasciata males are very intolerant of each other, and very hard on the females, if you have space, the more females the better. Really you need a 12" square of bottom area for each female, and some spare for the male.

I've never tended to have much success with one male: two females, due to female:female aggression, but I kept one male: seven female Apistogramma cacatuoides without any problem.

I think if there is a large difference in male:female size then that species is likely to be strongly harem forming.

cheers Darrel
Mine are super small aswell and the male is so feisty! Now there is 3 females the aggression spreads better but no spawns yet. I've seen the male fanning caves here an there but the females aren't showing to be susceptible as of yet. What size tank did you have 1:7 cacatuiodes? My 200l is my harem tank but didn't know how far I could push my luck Yeah I've heard that a few times but I'm far from an expert! Thanks for the info though matey

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What size tank did you have 1:7 cacatuiodes?
It was a custom built acrylic tank that one of my colleagues used for her research work. She wasn't using all of them at the time so I borrowed it. They are approximately 3' x 2' x 8" (90 x 60 x 20cm), so only about 100 litres, but a large floor area. It had a very thin sand layer, loads of Pistia and lot of dead leaves and branches. Caves were all 1/2 coconuts.

She eventually needed it back, so I reverted to 1 male: 1 female in a 60cm x 30cm x 38cm tank.

cheers Darrel

Apsnake

Ok I'm on my way to collect now so perfect timing for replies guys! Thanks for your help everyone! I'll post pics in a few hours when they are settled! Would like to 100% the species for future reference if you guys wouldn't mind helping would appreciate it fully

WarrenNorwichUK

Tank size doesn't matter, Baenschi makes a pair bond. A male will breed with only 1 female, other females will be killed. But when buying a male and female it is always the question wether or not they will bond. If they bond your tank size is fine. If they don't bond it's not. Maybe this clarifies my answer a bit. Your trifasciata is polygamous, were Baenschi is monogamous.
Sorry to hijack... aren't Panduro the same as Baenschi, as in they form pairs rather than harems?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….