• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accidentally got an Apisto!

Mol_PMB

Today I went to pick up a second-hand empty 4-foot tank, and found that it also came with a free 2-foot tank complete with 3 Otos and this guy! I've put the fish in one of my existing tanks for now and taken a few photos. He's still newly in so may still be a bit stressed.

I've got other dwarf cichlids but this is my first Apisto. Am I right in thinking that he's Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Super Red'?

Many thanks :)

Paul

Attachments

• Apisto_3.jpg
    Apisto_3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Apisto_4.jpg
    Apisto_4.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 355
  • Apisto_5.jpg
    Apisto_5.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 387

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Which ever name you want to put on the form is fine but he is a nice male A. cacatuoides. Triple Red, Mega Red, Super Red...all sales names for different bred lines of the basic same fish.

Mol_PMB

Not bad for a freebie!

I can feel myself getting hooked on Apistos already :)

Attachments

• Greedy_Boy_2.jpg
    Greedy_Boy_2.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 313

Mol_PMB

Not a fan of commercially bred Apisto colour strains, but its a pretty fish none the less. Now that you are addicted, lets move on to some true beauties, shall we?

I agree about preferring wild over commercially bred strains. I'm going to do some more research on the wild ones and try to find a nice species that suits my Rio Negro theme and is possible to purchase!

krudolph

Whether it is a super red or triple red, it is a nice looking fish. Nothing wrong with a wild caught or tank raised. I have some quads and waiting to see how the fry come out. They are starting to show their color now...........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….