• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

abbreviated generation designations

cootwarm

5 Year Member
It's been a long time since I had the few days of genetics during my high school biology class, I forget the meaning of these abbreviations. :oops:

From what I remember, the originating parents were P1 or something like that. Then I thought the subsequent generations were F1, F2, F3, etc. But this is all kind of foggy as well so I could be way off on this.
However, on AquaBid, I see mentions of F0. What does this mean. :?

Could someone explain the abbreviations and clear this up for me.

Thanks,
Michael

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
F0 means wild in the fish hobby. The genetic term for any cross of unrelated organisms is a Parent cross.. or P-cross. The generation created by that cross is the first filial generation (F1).

The fish hobby messes this up a bit. Two wild fish that are crossed are said to make an F1 generation.. that is correct. If a fish hobbyist breeds two unrelated F1 fish together, they will label it F2. That is technically incorrect in genetics terms. The hobby uses the F# series to indicate the number of generations away from wild. Geneticists use the F# series to indicate the generations of line breeding (inbreeding) from a specific cross.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. That explains it all plus some! Even answered a couple questions I didn't ask. (Yet) :D

I knew geneticly it had something to do with linebreeding or selective breeding because they were usually designations used in experiments. The differences in the fish hobby that Ted shed some light on were very interesting. Great thread "F0 F1 F2".

Thanks,
Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….