• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. viejita hatch

J

Jim

I just discovered a very small hatch of A. viejita fry yesterday morning. I've had the pair in a ten gallon breeding tank for nearly 2 months and had just about given up. Thought I had a dud for a male and the lady appeared willing. Started bbs yesterday and fed the fry a couple times today. They still sit on the substrate most of the time and swim occaisionally. Haven't seen them rise to the bbs. How long til free swimming? and how long should I leave the parents with them. The female is not pestering the male at all. Should I try to remove the male? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Randall

5 Year Member
A. viejita Fry

Dear Jim,

Congrats on your recent activity! A. viejita is a beautiful apisto, and I wish you good luck with them.

If your fry are not free swimming yet, they are still feeding off of their yolk sacks and will not accept any additional food. If you've been administering bbs, please syphon it out lest it foul the water and kill the fry. From the time the eggs hatch, most apisto larvae become free swimming in about five days at 78-degrees F., after which time you can feed bbs several times daily.

With most apisto species, it is not necessary to remove the male. They are usually excellent fathers and will help Mom with the free swimming fry.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….