• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. tucurui ID confirmation

regani

5 Year Member
I got a pair of A. tucurui a little while ago and was just wondering if they have been correctly identified. they general appearance seems to be the same, what makes me a bit unsure is the fact that there is no blue on the male whatsoever, no real blue sheen (well, maybe if I squint my eyes), no blue on the anal fin, the male is basically pure yellow. in all the pictures I could find the male always seems blueish with some blue tone to the anal fin as well.
they have spawned the second time now and I would like to be sure what I have before I pass any of the fry on to other people.
the pair have been less aggressive than I have expected from reading the literature and they are quite good parents.

here are some pictures of the male, I couldn't get a good shot of the female. I'll try for the female again tomorrow if that will help with the ID.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

thanks for your help

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The male looks like tucurui to me. I don't know of any other known Apisto. that has the "pin stripeing" like that. The blue sheen or lack there of may be due to lighting, diet, or genetics but isn't the best diognostic tool to use anyway.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeff is correct. Ignore colors and concentrate on the pattern of dark markings. Your fish appear to be the form that I call "A. cf. tucurui". It differs from Staeck's holotype specimens that show a pattern of spot-rows in the middle part of the caudal fin. Your fish appear to have no pattern in the caudal. These, most likely, are just different populations of the same species.

regani

5 Year Member
please feel free to use them, I would be honored.
I can send you the files, if you like. I will try to get some shots of the female and some fry as well then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….