• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Trifasciata

Rey82

5 Year Member
Today I feed my apistos small pieces of live red worms. My a. trifasciata male did a unusual act I have never seen. He swam sides ways then turned over. He did this when the female got too close to his piece of red worm. Has anyone ever seen this form of acting. I know that he isn't sick because he stopped doing it once the female swam away.

Graham

5 Year Member
Seems like a variation on a normal territorial display.
Apistos do all kinds of weird side-swimming and flashing to "tell" others to stay away.

beleg

5 Year Member
My female A.agassizi even swims upside down and her eyes color change so intensely that even the snails know that she is pissed off :D

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
These are examples of what animal behaviorists call agonistic displays.
Fish, birds and reptiles all share this behavior.
The dwarf cichlids, especially Nannacara anomala, have had a lot of earlier work in this area done with them in labs.
They used to be a favorite subject of study 40 years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sgraves23

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….