• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A problem?

S

Sunris

Hi all! New here!

I recently added a pair of Cac's and a pair of Pandurini's to my 29 Gallon tank. I don't have any other fish in there currently. I have 2 plants *fake* and 4 flowerpots (2 2.5" and 2 4") for hiding out.

So far the male Cac seems to dominate the tank. He's the biggest of the fish. I believe him and the female Cac are pairing up. He doesn't seem to mind her but he does seem to chase around the male and female Pands a bit. I'm thinking if I add more plants to help 'divide' the tank it'll help.

From what i've read here it seems pencilfish or tetras seem a popular dither fish. Should picking up a few of them also help spread out the aggro of my male Cac?

Also, the lighting with the new hood seems a bit bright. I've heard others have put paper or something under it to dim it some. Do the dwarves prefer it bright? If not how should I dim the lights?

Lots of great info around here so far. :) Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Scooter

5 Year Member
Sunris, more plants will help as would some wood, etc. The more cover the better. But if that male cac is a brute, it's not going to matter. He'll keep every other dwarf in there pinned to a corner or stuffed in the plants. If the female cac spawns, it could very well become unbearable for all the other inhabitants, especially if she picks a spot in the middle of the tank to lay her eggs. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I'm not sure I would keep two pairs of Apistos in a 29g, especially if one's a breeding pair.

If you can get some tall plants or wood (both is better) and break up sight lines in the tank, I think you'll have a better chance of lessening the aggression. Cichlids are like people in that they have their own personalities. Some just roll with the flow and some try to change the flow. Good luck, though.

S

Sunris

Well, just did the run of tests on my tank here. It looks like my water is kinda hard and pH a bit high for breeding...so don't think they'll be breeding for sure.

I also added some plants into the middle and thats seemed to curb the aggression some...since each seems to have their own 'side' now. :) Tomorrow I think i'll pick up some dither fish and see how it goes...and maybe add a few more plants on each side...make a litle forest. :D

Scooter

5 Year Member
How high is your pH and how hard is kinda hard? I've had a female cac spawn in 7.6 pH, though the water wasn't very hard. They'll likely pay no attention to any other fish in there besides the cichlids, except if they spawn or maybe when they're eating. Glad you got some more plants, though. I think you'll find that the more cover you have, the better off everyone will be. I would get some tall plants too if you don't have any. If I'm not mistaken, a standard 29g is 18" tall.

S

Sunris

pH: 7.8
KH: 5 dKH
GH: 9 dGH

We just have run of the mill city water here...no water softener. :|

Scooter

5 Year Member
She'll likely spawn in that. Cacs are pretty robust Apistos and don't require as strict parameters as many other Apistos or SA dwarves.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

S

Sunris

Her and the male do seem to get along well. I may have to get rid of the Pands though. :( That really stinks...beautiful fish!

Thanks for the welcome and advice! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….