• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A lot of new species ?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Just want to make you aware of this recent, very interesting work:

Colour forms of Amazonian cichlid fish represent reproductively
isolated species

J. S. READY, I. SAMPAIO, H. SCHNEIDER, C. VINSON, T. DOS SANTOS & G. F. TURNER

Their work indicates that several geographical populations / colour forms of A. caetei should be considered as biological isolated species.
"If future studies confirm that this result is indicative of a general trend, the species richness of the" Apistogramma "may presently be seriously underestimated." (Ready, J.S. et al., 2006)!

blueblue

5 Year Member
Interesting and thanks :)

Tom C said:
Just want to make you aware of this recent, very interesting work:

Colour forms of Amazonian cichlid fish represent reproductively
isolated species

J. S. READY, I. SAMPAIO, H. SCHNEIDER, C. VINSON, T. DOS SANTOS & G. F. TURNER

Their work indicates that several geographical populations / colour forms of A. caetei should be considered as biological isolated species.
"If future studies confirm that this result is indicative of a general trend, the species richness of the" Apistogramma "may presently be seriously underestimated." (Ready, J.S. et al., 2006)!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is the result of Jonathan's doctoral thesis - something I have been waiting to see since I learned about it in 2001. It was originally referred to by Koslowski in his book (2002). It is good to see it published on the internet so everyone can have easy access to it. Now I think you can understand why I try to keep populations separate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….