• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. diplotaenia - Wild fish from Rio Negro

blueblue

5 Year Member
A pair of wild A. diplotaenia from Rio Negro.
Its colour looks more solid than the tank-bred species'
and the 2-lines are clearly visible. ^_^

2line01_bighead1_412.jpg

2line09a_157.jpg

2line07a_203.jpg

2line01a_436.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks AquaAlbatros and Candidi ^_^
The substrate is a kind of aqua-soil which is in the form of
a small ball.... after using for some months, they will start to
soften and may need replacement later... This kind of substrate
can keep the water very soft and acidic...

mervin

5 Year Member
hi there,
me will be in HKG sometime at the end of OCT, can u point me in the right directions to aquire these beauties.

thanks

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Yorky. Yes, this pair came to my place recently... it is probably a new batch of wild fish exporting from south america after the raining season... ^.^

Hi Mervin. Good to learn that you will go to HK. Well, most of my apisto are
NOT from local fish retailers anymore... Basically, most of them are ordered from overseas... by the way, what kinds of apisto are you interested in?

Thanks cageman. For breeding A. diplotaenia, my experience has, on the contrary, turned out to be "more female than male"!! I have also heard of the scenario that you mentioned, say, there is more than 90% of male in a batch of fries. For me, on average, 60%-70% of a batch of fries has turned out to be female... Of course, water temperature, pH and kH values all matter in the development of sex of apisto. To explain this phenomenon, I would propose that because female A. diplotaenia is usually smaller and weaker than male A. diplotaenia in their infant stage, so many female A. diplotaenia actually could not compete with the stronger and bigger A. diplotaenia and hence they fail to develop... This directly results in having more male A. diplotaenia than female A. diplotaenia in the same brood when we observe them when they are, e.g. 2cm, long.

blueblue

5 Year Member
kray said:
Very nice fish indeed! Is it very troublesome to import in yourself?

Not really. There are many methods of bringing in fish. Of course, one convenient and safe way is to order thru' reputable stores.

yorky

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Not really. There are many methods of bringing in fish. Of course, one convenient and safe way is to order thru' reputable stores.

Hi,
Where do you reside? HK?
You are probably aware of the new shipments from Germany into HK which just arrived.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Yorky, yes, i am living in HK.
I am not aware of the new shipments.. when did the new shipments arrive?
Anyhow, i just placed an order via a close friend to get me a few toppest quality of fish, both German and wild fish... will post the fish here after i have received them... ^___^

yorky said:
Hi,
Where do you reside? HK?
You are probably aware of the new shipments from Germany into HK which just arrived.

mervin

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Hi Mervin. Good to learn that you will go to HK. Well, most of my apisto are
NOT from local fish retailers anymore... Basically, most of them are ordered from overseas... by the way, what kinds of apisto are you interested in?

hi there,
well...i'm looking for "good quality" Diplos, Mendezis, Piauiensis and sp. Xingus.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
starforsaken,

Yes, I imagine we all are. Asia has importers that often are willing to supply these - and hobbyists willing to pay the price asked, unlike many in North America. You might be surprised at what these fish cost in Singapore & Hong Kong.

mervin

5 Year Member
starforsaken said:
"hi there,
well...i'm looking for "good quality" Diplos, Mendezis, Piauiensis and sp. Xingus."

ARENT WE ALL???
Hi Staforstaken,
that is why i'm asking.

lets be nice......

not sure about apistos varieties in N.Amercica but here in Asia, the chances are much better especially in Taiwan and HongKong

blueblue

5 Year Member
mervin said:
hi there,
well...i'm looking for "good quality" Diplos, Mendezis, Piauiensis and sp. Xingus.
I see... well, you probably could find some Diplos, Mendezis in the HK fish street (i.e. Tung-Choi Street, which is near MongKok KCR station/ Prince Edward MTR station)... it is also a good season to buy them as their prices have lowered a little bit these days but the availability is uncertain
(for Mendezis, the prices used to be HK$700-HK$1400 a pair, now lowered to be HK$5xx - $1000 a pair; tank-bred Diplos: HK$4XX-HK$1900 a pair, wild -caught Diplos: usually NOT available, if available, the price is about HK$3000 a pair).

For Piauiensis and sp. Xingus, they are NOT popular in HK. For Xingus, i do see some around but the quality is poor (price is about HK$400 a pair). I have not seen Piauiensis for a long long time...

P.S.: One US dollar = 7.8 HK dollar.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike is right. I guess in Asia, Japan is the nation which imports the largest amount of top-quality apistos via their own collectors in South America. Apistos from Japan are also the most expensive ones in Asia (maybe the whole world as well). Here in HK, many retailers now get good-quality apistos from another big market in Asia - Taiwan. Taiwan has a couple of trading companies for Apistos and the price is quite high, but quality is also high. In addition, Traders in Taiwan also distribute the apistos from germany and europe to Hong Kong.

Mike Wise said:
starforsaken,

Yes, I imagine we all are. Asia has importers that often are willing to supply these - and hobbyists willing to pay the price asked, unlike many in North America. You might be surprised at what these fish cost in Singapore & Hong Kong.

blueblue

5 Year Member
cawa1031 said:
so here you are !
very nice fish ~

Cawa

Thanks cawa, yes i am back after settling some personal affairs.
^.^ have you got some new apistos recently? I have found a lot
of interesting apistos in the list from Basil Aquarium (Taiwan - "Stone")

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….