• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. commbrae or A. brevis?

Nain

5 Year Member
I have purchased 4 Apistos and cannot identify the species with certainty. Using the Romer Cichlid Atlas I have narrowed down the species to either brevis or commbrae. All 4 have a wide, uninterrupted lateral band through to the tail, with the exception of a tiny gap between the terminal end of the band and the caudal spot, which spot is irregularly square in shape. The fins are mostly transparent. The caudal is rounded/truncate. On the apparent male of the group, the ventral fins are 50/50 grey/black near the body but clear/white at the tip. In the females, the ventral fins are about 75/25 black. Dependent upon mood, there is a very thin second lateral band below the wide mid-body lateral band, this is not observable very often.

Does anyone know a clearly defining difference between the two species?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

A.Brevis do not have a rounded caudal fin, so I don´t beleive you have that one.
Could of course be Commbrae or Iconspicua, they are quite similar when they are young.

Best regards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….