• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borellii yellowhead what A-number

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Unless you know where the fish was collected or exported, it will not have a precise A-number. For all we know it could be a domestic form produced from fish from several different locations.

DaRe

5 Year Member
Hmm, that will be tricky and I don't really know. I will keep them on the general page for Borelli but state unknown origin or similar

P.W.

5 Year Member
Just keep in mind that the A.Borellii is a highly polychromatic species. It´s not that easy to apply the A-numbers for the numerous colorations. The comments in DATZ "South american dwarfcichlids" refering the A-numbers of A. Borellii (A101-105) highlights this as well:

"So far it´s not possible to differentiate the populations of this very widespread species. Even within individual populations the colour markings of the male gill covers, often used for differention are variable. The status of the forms pictured here is therefore not clear."

From what I can understand, you can actually find males with colorations similar to "yellowheads" living side by side with males with "Opal" colorations in any location within the distribution area.
And of course there are as Mike pointed out, many domestic strains such as Yellowheads and Opal´s (without clear origin) where breeders have enhanced the different colorations by strict line breeding.

DaRe

5 Year Member
Yes I have began to understand this more and more. I have heard this stated but it takes time for the "polett att trilla ner" as we say in Sweden ;)

What are the differencies between the A-numer species in the borelli group?

I hoping to get hold of a set of photos with specific caught locations of borelli and other that might be really interesting to dig into. :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What are the differencies between the A-numer species in the borelli group?

The fish A101 - A 104 are from known collecting localities. A. borellii (Opal) A 105 is just a color morph that is found in many different populations throughout the species' range. Opal typically is considered the most colorful blue specimens that show more red on the opercula. These fish, however, are not the original Opal, which was a domestic enhanced strain of A. borellii originally developed in the former East Germany. These fish had blue, green and yellow scales on the body with red markings on the face and yellow and blue unpaired fins. I don't believe the original Opal exists anymore. It was easier/cheaper to collect similar wild specimens than to produce them domestically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….