• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Borellii Spawning Advice

HookedOnFish_MI

I’m hoping to get some advice to help get my borelli pair to spawn. They are in a 15 gallon aquarium with 3 Otocinclus cats. Temp is about 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and I feed mostly frozen brine shrimp, along with New Life Spectrum flakes less frequently. Ph is 7.5. This female did spawn with another male a few months back, when I had black neons in the tank as well (don’t anymore). I didn’t remove the fry and they disappeared quickly. I have had a new male in the tank with her for a month now, as the last male died. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_6648.jpeg

IMG_6480.jpeg
IMG_6109.jpeg

Guppysnail

Enchytraeus Albidus -white worms and Enchytraeus Buchholzi-grindle worms are easy to culture and provide an endless food supply. These coupled with live brine shrimp are my best tools for spawning. They can live in the tank for a week or more providing nutrients and environmental enrichment for fish. My apistos love them. They also do not foul water quality like commercial foods.
Good luck on your spawning attempts.

FishManDan

I would lower the temperature to somewhere closer to 76. I think 78 might be the top of their comfortable temperature range. I think I had mine breed around 75 or 76.

Less important than food or temperature I'd suggest slowly lowering the pH a bit under 7 if you're in a position to routinely condition large batches of water prior to changes. Do they seem to have paired up yet? What's the GH?

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….