• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. bitaeniata Spawn

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
I mentioned this in my other thread about Conductivity and Fertilizers but thought it would be best to start a new thread on the topic. Yesterday morning I noticed that my bitaeniata had spawned and by 10:00 last night all of the eggs had dropped and were wiggling on the gravel. Is it possible knowing this to estimate the date of spawning? Also by this morning I could not see any movement but Mom was keeping guard of the cave and blocking the view. How long from wiggling on the gravel to free swimming? Water temp is 25.5°C pH is 6.8 and conductivity is, well lest say it's not good :biggrin: but it's slowly getting better.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It typically takes 3 day for the eggs to hatch, so your A. bitaeniata spawned 4 days ago. The larvae become freeswimming fry 4 days after hatching. Now is a good time to consider what you will feed the fry. I recommend new hatched brine shrimp.

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
Thanks mike, BBS is the plan, how long will they live off of the egg sack before needing additional nutrition?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For feeding I prefer live bbs. The fry tend to be attracted to movement. Non-live foods aren't as interesting to them. Even adults love them, so there isn't much chance of overfeeding unless you REALLY overfeed. I've never used decapsulated eggs. If you mean decapsulating live eggs before hatching, then normal brine shrimp eggs are easy to hatch anyway. Decent quality eggs (properly maintained) are a more economical option, too.

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
Well it looks like this spawn was a bust. The female has started to stray from her cave and I can't see any fry, in fact I haven't seen any since the first night they dropped and were wiggling on the gravel. Hopefully I have better luck next time. The good thing is that I have lots of baby brine for my pair of Panduro :)

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
Well surprise surprise, sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

DSCN0481.jpg

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
I've noticed something strange looking at the photos I've taken. The second lateral band is completely gone when she is in full breeding colors, is that normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….