• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. baenschi best water

anakonda

5 Year Member
Hi, i managed to get some baenschi (=inca50 right?). Could someone tell what is the optimal water for breeding them? Is best option to go very low 4.5 pH or so or is 6-6.5 better? I don't have RO but i get about 1.5 GH at best with peat(then the pH is also 4-5). Does GH 1.5 vs. GH 2.5-3 matter in breeding?

The fish are growing now at pH8 and GH 3-4(conductivity about 150microS), can i condition them in this water or would lower pH be significantly better at this stage also?

Thanks

A

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
They like soft acidic water a pH of 5 to 6.5 and a hardness of not more than 160ppm.

They are IMO quite easy to spawn having spawned off of 5 different females with 3 diffrent males. I had a pair of F1 try to spawn at abot 15mm and only four months in water with a ph 6.5 hardness about 10ppm.

They are a great fish and good luck.

If they are wild caught then adding some black water exstract can help them get going.

starforsaken

5 Year Member
My tap water is ph7 0hardness.

Every 2 weeks my pair lays about 30-90 eggs. Usually only about 20 hatch. I always take them away as the female eats them.

Should I drop the ph??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….