• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. abacaxis problem - aggressive male

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi there,
About month ago I bought a 1+2 of Abacaxis. I put them in the heavily planted tank with some bogwood and black photo canisters to hide. Unfortunately, still they haven't spawned. I think because of male's aggression (towards females):mad: Today I removed one female and 6 N. trifasciatus from the main tank (60x50cm and 25cm high), so there's male and female in the tank. But still, male is aggressive (he chases her:frown: ) By the way thier tank has no plants now, only a lot of bogwood and black photo canisters. What can I do? :frown:

P.S. Parameters: pH is ~5.0. KH is <1 and temperature is 26,5 degrees Celsius.

peterK

5 Year Member
Yea sure, if it's helpful:
aquazj0.png

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would be more patient. Personally, I was more successful at an even lower pH (3,9), but I know you don't need it that low. I keep 2 females in my tank with the male. You need a tank at least 75 cm long with a trio.

FishSoup

5 Year Member
I'm presently keeping a wild pair of sp. Abacaxis in a one foot tank, pH 5.2, and they've bred for me twice now. The male is very aggressive, just make sure the female has hiding places and she should be fine :)

apistobob

5 Year Member
Looking at the photo of your tank, you might try adding another handful of leaves to create more complexity for the female to shelter in.

Bob

peterK

5 Year Member
I added some oak leaves in the tank. Male is not very aggressive now, I hope they'll reconcile themselves soon:biggrin:

workn4apistos

5 Year Member
Can Pairs be kept in 10G tanks?

Hello,
I am new here and have about 15 - 10G glass aquariums, I've seen threads about Trios in 20G long tanks but was wondering if a breeding pair of Apistos can be kept in a standard 10G filled with driftwood and light sand.

I'd like to set up about 4 pairs and would like to avoid buying new tanks.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, hit reply instead of new

peterK

5 Year Member
There could be another problem with my Abacaxis. I don't know why, but it seems I probably lost four spawnings so far. 'What?!' you'll said. Hm, the problem is that females turn in breeding colours, "guard" something, chase the male away from the 'breeding' area and... nothing happens.:frown: I'm a bit frustrated, because something like this has never happened to me (to my fish exactly). What's the problem? I think this is not because of male's aggression now... but because of WHAT?:confused: :mad: EDIT: It looks like females lay eggs without male's praticipation to me...

Tank:
akwasm5.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….