• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5 gallon tanks for pair breeding?

apisto_cad

Hello

I have a rack with 10 x 5 gallon tanks and would like to hear opinions on keeping/breeding apistogramma pairs in them.

Thank you

MacZ

breeding: possible but means A LOT of waterchanges.
keeping: definitely not.

You'd have to remove the males in most cases right after spawning or only add them to the females once the females are receptive otherwise you'd risk a lot of losses. And you'd have to move the fry pretty early to sizable growouts.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hmm… unless you are rather experienced in apistos or atleast in more demanding fish than the typical beginner fish i would say none. The tanks imo, is to small. Not saying it can’t be done but i wouldn’t do it. To little space for all involved.

-r

Apistoguy52

Pretty much what’s been said above ^^^. I’ll let my ego out for a second….I’d consider myself in the 99th percentile when it comes to breeding SA cichlids, and I can say with absolute certainty I couldn’t get it done in 10 gallon tanks. 5 gallon tanks…. I’ve read about people who say they can get it done…those folks are either full of it, or are absolute geniuses.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
You could however consider killies (-not that know much about them) or Parosphromenus. The latter is being bred and kept in that size tank.
I got two species of paros and both are great fun to watch and a bit of breeding adventure…

-r

MacZ

You could however consider killies (-not that know much about them) or Parosphromenus. The latter is being bred and kept in that size tank.
I got two species of paros and both are great fun to watch and a bit of breeding adventure…

-r
Right, those work in that small tanks. Although they also require extreme conditions that are best simulated in that small size.

I’ve read about people who say they can get it done…those folks are either full of it, or are absolute geniuses.
I know it can be done but I'd also consider a very small number of people being able to pull it off anyhow. I know of two people that did it. I have no idea how.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only person I personally knew who did this was Dr. Fontaine Weyman. He was an interesting (=eccentric) Southern gentleman who supplied most of the domestic bred apistos back in the 1960/70s. I did it by accident once. I definitely don't recommend it. There are 2 exceptions that I would try: A. wapisana (unspectacular) imported only once in the past 25 years to my knowledge and A. angayuara, which has never been imported.

Ttw

5 Year Member
I got my apistos from Fontaine back in the day. Also used the techniques he recommended so I too have bred apistos in 5 gal tanks. Still do in a pinch.

apisto_cad

Thank you very much for everyone's input and opinions on keeping/breeding apistogramma in 5 gallon tanks.
I am definitely not that well experienced with apistogramma that I am going to try to house them in 5 gallon tanks. Probably going to utilize them differently.

I am just so excited and a bit addicted with apistogramma that I would like to keep and hopefully breed as many different species as possible.

Thank you again to everyone for their input.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I used to breed a few species in 5 gallon tanks, most often using young pairs. I had borellii, caetei, and eunotus (or cf. eunotus), among others, in tanks where the males could see each other in the next tank. The caves I used were coconut shells and placed in a corner. Water Sprite was always on the surface. Tanks were placed on the stand with the end of the tank to the front, so the males had the long side to display at one another. Kept the boys busy until their lady was ready. Fry were removed once they were free swimming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….