• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10g apistos?

mooman

5 Year Member
I have a local aquarium club auction coming up and a 10g tank that will be opening up. I'd like to put a pair of apistos in it, but I know a 10g is on the small side. Besides A borelli, what are some other smaller apistos that would do well? Although not an apisto, would a pair of kribs work? I will be attempting to get either a breeding pair or several juveniles to lesson the chance of aggression upon introduction, and have a tank to remove the male to later on if it becomes necessary. I don't need the species to be easy to breed, but would prefer species that don't have reputations as being hard to breed. I have access to R/O water if needed.

Thanks for any advice

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Moonman, I keep 1 Apistogramma gibbiceps in a NanoPlanted Tank (6.5GAL). Even though I am new to the Apistogramma scene, I figure you might be able to get away with a pair of Cacuatoides or Agassizi in your 10GAL.

Remember, loads of plants and "caves" will result in happy fish. Also some dithers will work. I use Beckford's Pencilfish.

Gary

scott

5 Year Member
i have successfully kept and bred baenschi, macmasteri, eremenopyge and a number of other apistos in 10g tanks. i currently even have a pair of panduro's in a 10 they haven't spawned yet but i haven't seen much aggression...so far. although this is probably not the norm for panduro. as long as you keep a good eye on them an you have a little luck on your side , imo, a 10g is ok for a pair of apistos. good luck. oh yeah i have also bred a pair of kribs in a 10.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Species that I have kept in 10's include A. trifasciata, cacatuoides, agassizzi, alacarina, tucurui and like you mentioned borellii. I am sure any of the smaller species will work out quite well in a 10. I even seen people keep larger species like A. steindachneri which reach 4 inches in a 10 or less. Just watch out when they breed and be prepared to remove any individuals that seem not to be standing the aggression. Seeya at the auction!

mooman

5 Year Member
Right now I have a bonded, yet unbreed pair of panduros in my 29. They are showing lots of pre-spawning behavior, but will not breed. I'm thinking I need to monkey with the ph (i've been trying to avoid that). I was thinking about moving the panduros into the ten (cheaper to use ro water), and getting cacs for the 29 (had a pair that breed in my tap water: ph7.2, gh 6). There is not aggression at all between the two panduros. Has anybody spawned panduros in a ten, and what were the conditions?

Scott

What have you tried so far, and what are your water parameters? These guys are showing so much spawning behavior for me, but will not do the deed. Very frustrating.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
fishboy20,

Please don't use the name A. alacrina. This species was collected only once, by Alf Stahlsberg back in the early 1990s. It is now lost to the hobby. You probably think that A. sp. Rotpunkt/Red-spot is alacrina, but there are significant differences. Even Dr. Kullander, who described A. alacrina - & introduced the Rotpunkt back in 1974, will not place the 2 forms in synonymy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mraqualover

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(