• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow vs White caucatodies

• Thread starter creedmore creek
  • Start date
C

creedmore creek

Hello fish friends,
I recently acquired a pair of white/orange flash caucs at our annual fish club auction. At home I already have couple of pairs of yellow (or white)/triple red caucs.

What I have observed is that these new fish have no yellow pigmentation at all however they do have black and of course the orange on their fins.
My old line of caucs has the yellow pigment but no black pigment. So the homozygotes have a solid gold body with triple red finage (sometimes).

Has anyone else out there noticed this distinction of color morphology? I apologize if this is old news.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I have a pair of cocakatoo full red golds. Not antil the female had hit ruffly 5m old did she start showing any real yellow to her. She was almost soild white like a albino up til the last month. Where as the male started showing yellow around 3 m old and the red in the fins at 3 1/2 to 4 months.
Plus I now have 20 yellow fry from a cockatoo double red that has no color to them at all at this time { they are 5 weeks old } they still look almost see throw. If your pair is still young then wait awhile and see if this dosn't change.

C

creedmore creek

Ranch,
You make a good point regarding the size of the fish however it turns out that "new" pair is an experience breeding pair and the fish are adults. To be fair they have only been in their new tank for 6 days now so perhaps the lack of coloration is a stress related thing.

Right now with both the new mail and female lacking any yellow pigment the fish certainly look quite different from my old line. I will keep this new pair seperate from the genetics of my old line and see what sort of offspring they generate. If all the F1 from this new pair lack the yellow pigment then I'll have a better case that genetics are at the root of the color.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The amount of any specifc color is going to be a gene-governed trait. I have seen a lot of variation in the normal color cacatuoides, so would suspect that there would also be a lot of variation in the yellow form. Some lines will be more yellow that others. I have a couple pairs yellow orange-flash that I got from Mike Yamamoto that are very yellow in the body. I saw some of the same size at the GCCA swap last weekend that were very white in the body.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….