• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB: Wild Apistogramma?

cwb141

Greetings,

I'm setting up a couple new aquascapes in the coming months.
Both are using the South American technique of earthworm castings as substrate fertilizer component.​
One is a 29 gallon with high light plants, main ones being Glosstigma elatinoides, Eleocharis acicularis, Rotala Wallichii, and Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'.
The other is a 20 gallon long low light, with weeping moss, java fern, and anubias.​
Each aquascape will feature a piece of Malaysian driftwood that will provide a nice area to make camp around.​
Possible tankmates are red cherry shrimp, red-nosed shrimp, MTS, small SAEs, kuhli loaches, rummy-nose tetras, and cardinal tetras.​

Now, I've been going back and forth between Rams or Apistos and I'm sold on getting an Apistogramma cacatuoides pair for each tank. I'm thinking a nice orange pair and a red pair will look cool and do well. I know that the 20g is a little on the small side for a pair, but I more than enough filtration on both tanks, and will not be getting close to overstocking. I'm thinking a pair in the 20g, a few cardinals, some shrimp, and snails. The 29 gallon will have a pair and a school of 7-8 rummies, some kuhlis, and shrimp/snails.

Finally, Where or Who is a good supplier of wild Apistogramma? I've been looking around and have thought of buying off of Aquabid, but I'll never know if what I'm getting is wild or not. If anyone could recommend a supplier (name, number/email/website) that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Josh

Joe Gatchell

Greetings,

I'm setting up a couple new aquascapes in the coming months.
Both are using the South American technique of earthworm castings as substrate fertilizer component.​
One is a 29 gallon with high light plants, main ones being Glosstigma elatinoides, Eleocharis acicularis, Rotala Wallichii, and Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'.
The other is a 20 gallon long low light, with weeping moss, java fern, and anubias.​
Each aquascape will feature a piece of Malaysian driftwood that will provide a nice area to make camp around.​
Possible tankmates are red cherry shrimp, red-nosed shrimp, MTS, small SAEs, kuhli loaches, rummy-nose tetras, and cardinal tetras.​

Now, I've been going back and forth between Rams or Apistos and I'm sold on getting an Apistogramma cacatuoides pair for each tank. I'm thinking a nice orange pair and a red pair will look cool and do well. I know that the 20g is a little on the small side for a pair, but I more than enough filtration on both tanks, and will not be getting close to overstocking. I'm thinking a pair in the 20g, a few cardinals, some shrimp, and snails. The 29 gallon will have a pair and a school of 7-8 rummies, some kuhlis, and shrimp/snails.

Finally, Where or Who is a good supplier of wild Apistogramma? I've been looking around and have thought of buying off of Aquabid, but I'll never know if what I'm getting is wild or not. If anyone could recommend a supplier (name, number/email/website) that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Josh

The 20 Long has the same surface area as your 29 gallon, I don't see there'd be much of a difference. Should be ok.

Hmoobthor

what you mention are good size and stock for the tanks.

Apisto are really small size and you also don't wanna keep alot of pairs.

If you can wait out till winter is over or in the spring time I am sure Aquabid will have tons of auction up for grab. They are low ATM.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonwambach

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….