• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB apistos in QLD, australia

briztoon

5 Year Member
What type of apistos? And I am sure you know Fishchicks is the best LFS locally to buy apistos from. All of Fishchicks apistos are quality, and it is expensive to get the fish into Australia, so they aren't cheap.

briztoon

5 Year Member
I think you should have a look at the last stock list Fishchicks put on Aquarium Life, in the sponsor section. Have a look at the apistos listed and do some research on what it takes to keep them. Most of these fish need soft, acidic water. Many will die slowly if kept in Brisbane tap water. Research is the key.

As for price, many of the species are sold as pairs only, and are significantly more than $20. I know a few local hobbyists are growing out fry at the moment, but it may be a little while before the fry reach a sexable size.

briztoon

5 Year Member
If the tank is large enough, and has some areas that provide decent enough cover, you could keep some of the dwarf acara species with tapajos. I kept two pairs of Laetacara curviceps with mine when I used to keep geos. I do not think it is a good idea to keep apistos with any geos, even smallish ones like tapajos. The only place that I have seen decent curviceps over the years, has been Smiths Aquarium at Boondal. There may be some Laetacara dorsigera or Laetacara sp. "Bolivien" in some of the better LFS around. Aquarama at Stafford used have a good supply of the "Bolivien".

I assume you will have a fine sand substrate for the geos? I would not try any plants planted in to the substrate with geos, they'll just uproot them when sifting for food. You could try some java fern or anubis attached to driftwood or rocks though. I'll send you some photos this afternoon of what I have in your thread on AL.

BN boy

the tank is 5x2x1.5
it has alot of melaluka.
also soon to have 5x eliotis
got 7x geo tapajos, gouramis x 3, raibows.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Do you mean Thorichthys ellioti? You won't be adding any dwarf SA cichlids in there. You'll be pretty mutch fully stocked cichlid wise. When stocking cichlids you need to consider what other cichlids make suitable tank mates. You just can't say I like this species and this species and this species becuase there could be compatability issues. You need to look at bio-load obviously, but you also need to consider aggression levels, territory requirements, pairing and spawning requirements.

In a 5 foot tank, you will run in to aggression and territory issues with just one pair of either species defending free swimming fry from the rest of the tank mates.

BN boy

ok, I'll probably get rid of 3-4 of the geos. and if any properly pair off and show sings of breeding, I'll separate them.

briztoon

5 Year Member
I do not think the geos are the concern. I think you need to do a little research of the different species you wish to keep. Look at what you can keep with what, see if they have same living conditions. If you are looking after the fish right, spawning is pretty much expected.

briztoon

5 Year Member
What do you want from your tank? A community/display tank, or a species only tank with some breeding and raising of fry.

First thing I would reccommend is to stick with cichlids from one continent, either SA (Geophagus tapajos) or CA (Thorichthys ellioti). Generally, it's not good to mix fish from two different areas.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….