• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB: Apistogramma juruensis

northtexasfossilguy

I recently purchased two pairs and am looking to do a single species breeding setup of these guys. Another friend of mine has a single male that I will part out one of the females to. I have 9 empty 10 gallons for 9 more pairs of these.

If you want to trade offspring in the future, I am looking for other breeders to create a network so that we can maintain the genetic diversity of these guys.

Thanks.

Will post a pic when I take one.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The true A. juruensis is almost non-existent in the American hobby. Do you have the true A. juruensis (from Brazil) or A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn (from Peru)?

northtexasfossilguy

Not sure. These have a lateral line, which is especially apparent on the females, they are pale blue, the heads are blue, purples, and green blues. These are approximately 1" currently. The females also have vertical stripes which are faintly visible.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a domestic strain - possibly a hybrid. It's a beautiful fish. Females have been rare in the past, but seem to be more common in recent years. Good luck with your breeding program

northtexasfossilguy

Thanks. I think I will just stick with the two pairs of them that I bought already, I am into more exotic things. They surely are a striking color though, when mine die I might try getting it's mitochondrial DNA sequenced at UT Arlington. It could then be compared to A. caetei mitochondrial DNA to determine if the hypothesis that it was A. resticulosa or A. borellii males which were crossed with A. caetei females.

Obviously at that point I would need a female specimen of A. caetei sent to me.

Tom C

5 Year Member
northtexasfossilguy;
It is illegal to use others' pictures without the permission of the copyright holder. You have posted a picture from http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php without mentioning the source.

If you don't have a permission to use it, you should remove this picture from your post. You could present the link above to the picture at the original site.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
when mine die I might try getting it's mitochondrial DNA sequenced at UT Arlington. It could then be compared to A. caetei mitochondrial DNA to determine if the hypothesis that it was A. resticulosa or A. borellii males which were crossed with A. caetei females.

Obviously at that point I would need a female specimen of A. caetei sent to me.

Actually, you don't need to let the fish die first. A simple clipping from a fin (most ichthyologist use either a part of the caudal or pectoral fin) is adequate. If done properly, it shouldn't permanently harm the fish. The effect much like clipping hair on people.

As Tom said, it isn't really kosher to use other people's photos without permission. A better method is to reference the URL. This allows people to still see the fish photo and the original owner gets the rightful recognition.

northtexasfossilguy

northtexasfossilguy;
It is illegal to use others' pictures without the permission of the copyright holder. You have posted a picture from http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php without mentioning the source.

If you don't have a permission to use it, you should remove this picture from your post. You could present the link above to the picture at the original site.

If you right click you can View Image Info and it has its source. The image sources itself. I didn't copy it and save it and post a saved file, it is the original file located in the original website, it is merely a link.

In addition, "Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as for commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching or scholarship." -Wikipedia

I do believe this constitutes research, and commentary, but that's just my opinion and if it really irks the crud outta you I won't do it anymore.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you right click you can View Image Info and it has its source. The image sources itself. I didn't copy it and save it and post a saved file, it is the original file located in the original website, it is merely a link.

In addition, "Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as for commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching or scholarship." -Wikipedia

I do believe this constitutes research, and commentary, but that's just my opinion and if it really irks the crud outta you I won't do it anymore.

And this copyright law is the reason you almost never see any of my photos on the web, especially of rarer species - that, and because I'm a lousy photographer:biggrin:. You are legally correct, but legal use is different from ethical/moral use. Whenever I reference a photo that I don't own, I find it easier to just type the URL (copy & paste) into the body of the text instead of the image. That way there is no misunderstanding about who took the photo. To me it's just being polite.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….