• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

would this fit?

Mikey

5 Year Member
I doubt i'll be doing this, but i just wanted to know for peace of mind if i could add a yellow lab to a fairly busy 38gallon tank with rainbows, a clown plec, a few guppy's, kribs and a single agasizzi(tefe?), and some rasboras ,also a small bala(going when it's too big). I know the labs are a more docile cichlid, but could it exist if someone were to try this? Just wondering.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it's a really bad idea. Labs are docile for mbuna, but they'll still knock spots of Apistos I imagine. With kribs and an apisto in that tank you really don't have room for more cichlids anyway, just maybe add some more agasizzi to go with your current one.
There's also the water issue. The kribs and apistos come from soft, acidic water areas and are really best kept at those conditions IMHO. The lab comes from Lake Malawi which has water as hard as liquid concrete! IT will really suffer in acidic water.

Of course, saying that, I have never tried it and don't know anyone who has so who can say whether it would be a complete disaster or not - but I wouldn't do it!

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning Mikey,

Agree with ED. I had a 6ft Malawi tank with the labs and the totally require differenct water conditions and I believe the higher acid water would not suit them. I also believe although they are a peacful Malawi, that they will make live unpleasant or the others. Again I have not and would not even try to combine your suggestion, would find it totally unfair and cruel . Cheers Jan-kurt

Mikey

5 Year Member
Thanks guy's for the answers. It was more of an inquiry thing anyways, but this is the only way to find out right? Ask the people who know, not just experiment and hope for the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….