• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wots compatible with.......

L

leroy

I have a 24" by 12" tank and i wish to know what dwarf cichlids are compatible with rams and keyholes and how many other species should i keep? The water round here is quite hard and my ph is 7.8-8.2 which i know its the best ph for them but can u help me.
thx for any help.

Randall

5 Year Member
Dwarf Cichlid Possibilities

Dear Leroy,

What size tank do you have, please? The number of species you can keep depends on the size of their quarters.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
24"x12" Tank

Dear Leroy,

I see you've included two dimensions in your original post and have added a 7.8-8.2 pH range as well. At 24"x12"x?", is your tank 10 gallons? If so, I wouldn't recommend keeping either rams or keyholes in it. Rams prefer soft, acidic water and keyholes grow to over 4" TL, too large for a 10-gallon tank.

Given the size of your tank and the hardness of your water, have you considered any of the East African dwarf cichlids? You may be better served looking into Lamprologus sp. and Neolamprologus sp. Lake Tanganyka is home to many small, fascinatating cichlids that thrive in hard, alkaline water.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

leroy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Follow Randalls' advice. It is sound. Although your tank is probably a 20g. and would be marginally acceptable for either species, size wise, you still have the water issue to deal with. If you are not willing to go to some length to change your tap, Tang. species are a much better bet.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….