• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my new Cac

Sime

5 Year Member
Hi Folks
I recently got a Cacatuoides Orange Flash pair. Had
them for about 4or 5 weeks now and they seem to be going ok. But the
Male seems to be having trouble eating. He seems fine is pretty active
and always tries to eat, comes up to the front when I feed them. When
I feed - frozen Brine for example he munches on them for a while then
spits them out he has a few more goes but no luv. His belly doesn't
seem to enlarge after feeding so I don't think he isn't getting much
food. The only other thing I have seen is a couple of days ago he was
passing some very loose opaque white poo . It was not long stringy and white like you'd normally see from a sick fish.
Do you have any ideas if there is a problem here? I'm a little concerned.

Sime

fishgeek

increased mucous in the stool can suggest gut lining being irritated

i would immediately worm and treat with metronidazol impregnated food
if you are from australia(not sure why i think that?) then avitrol a bird wormer contained levamisol
metronidazol will likely be needed on prescription - check you lfs i think discomed in america may have metronidazol in, otherwise ask a vet or gp if they can be of assistance- usually prescription laws will require them to examine the patient that will need the medication, if you are lucky a vet may just ask for a stool sample from the fish and be happy to aid you after that
treatment will need to be rapid because oce the fish are not eating it is very hard to rectify these problems
the other fish should allso be treated

metronidazol 100mgs of medication per kg of fish in feed! yes thats right , i have put more i when fish arent eating well
metro is oil soluble so perhaps mix some cod liver oil and metro then allow live food to soak in it for 10-15 minutes , i usually use white worm and this seems to work
otherwise metro/oil/frozen food mix's
in water medication is affected by poor water solubility 25mgs/l of water every other day for 3 treatments

levamisol at 1.5-2mgs/l in water then repeat in another 2-3 weeks

things to look for that may contain these medications
discomed, hex-a-mit ,paragon2,hole in the head treatmnet and poss jungle guard

best of luck
andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….