• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wood from a nearby stream

summerboy1958

I plan on visiting a stream near my house this weekend where I saw a few interesting pieces of wood. They are currently submerged.

If they are not rotten, is there a risk in using wood that is saturated with "natural" water? Do I need to let it dry out and then soak in chlorine+water?

All comments welcome!!

Bruce

kiddjam

try it, if maybe it wont be problematic, this forum is so inactive, I hope more people are knowledgeable to answer you question accurately....

there are so many stuffs that we should test, but the great/best ones cost a fortune which is not likely to be bought by normal hobbyist....

temperature...variable water chemistry.... ion... and all that invisible stuffs in side the water column, wood, substrate, rock.... also, fish disease....

so well, maybe just throw it in, see what happen... I know I sound desperate, but I am working on something big, a whole system.....

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
is there a risk in using wood that is saturated with "natural" water?
No, assuming that the water quality is fairly good in the stream. Just scrape of any soft bits and you are ready to go. I store all the bits of dead wood (that I intend to use fairly soon) in my garden pond, this ensures they are saturated and will sink. I also give them a good sniff for any sulphurous smell when I take them out that might indicate active decay.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would try the wood in an aquarium with fish you are willing to sacrifice if the wood carries toxins or pathogens. Truth to be told, I have done this and not had many problems.

regani

5 Year Member
if the stream is healthy and not polluted you shouldn't have any problems with toxins (petsicides, heavy metals and the like).
if the tank is healthy you shouldn't have any problems with pathogens as healthy fish don't tend to get sick that easily.
the only thing is that you can get some unwanted critters hitching a ride on the wood, e.g. hydra, dragonfly larvae, larvae of water beetles etc. some of them may cause problems, but a good scrub should should get rid of most of those

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….