• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wondering about ID's....

DH247

5 Year Member
I think they are A Gossei as the male appears to be very similar to the picture of the male on the apisto list, but I'm just not sure as I'm new to the apisto world. I found this pair at the LFS and he wasn't sure exactly what they were. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is the male:
male2.JPG

And the female:
female4.jpg

http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/female3.jpg

And if anyone knows what these guys are, I have 2 and they were the last ones at the LFS. All I know is that they are called 'orange fins'.
http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/orangefin2.JPG

Thanks!

PS - Still working on a better photo of the female! And the male for that matter Thanks again!

element

5 Year Member
i can't say for certain some better photos with all the black markings visible would help . but from the photos you have i would say definetly not gossei , the have a more narrow cheek band and a taller caudual spot . maybe eunotus , or cruzi . but try to post some better photos and i'm sure someone can come up with a positive ID.

-Jason

Roach

5 Year Member
The only thing we get here in Australia labelled as "Orange Tail" is Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangebauch/Orange-belly" or Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail" and that fish does look pretty similar to A. eunotus

DH247

5 Year Member
I am still working on some better photos. Usually he is not this shy but ever since I started treating for ick (one of my rams got it badly and all the others had a couple of spots) he has been very skittish. It's pretty much cleared up save for one or two spots on the ram who got it, so I'm hoping my apisto will calm down once I finish treatment in the next day or two and I can get a better picture of him. In the meantime I will keep trying!

Yes he does have yellow pectoral fins. They sometimes are black along the leading edge. His dorsal fin is iridescant blue with some red along it, although the red comes and goes with his moods.

Thanks again for the help!

Cam

DH247

5 Year Member
Sorry! My apologies, the pectoral fins are orange-yellow. Same as the tail. No black edges. The pelvic fins are yellow with black leading edges. It's been a while since biology class and I'm still getting reaquinted with the terminology.:wink:

I have read that Cruzi have some banding that eunotus does not have. I have also read that Cruzi can be quite aggressive. My male is definitely more aggressive and has banding all the way from his gills to his caudal spot. I just don't know if the aggression is a result of him being larger (he's about 3" nose to tip of tail) than the rest of his tank mates.

I got a picture of his banding, but so far he has proven to be frustratingly elusive :frown:. It's like he knows what the camera is and runs as soon as he sees it.
http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/male_bands.jpg

element

5 Year Member
hmmm. the new photo has me leaning to A. sp. nanay with that small square caudual patch below the end of the lateral band. but the photo i'm looking at in the DATZ book also shows a pattern in the base of the caudual fin. does your fish have this?
-Jason

DH247

5 Year Member
At the base of the caudal fin there is some red colouration between the bones. But this only extends slightly out from the base of the tail. Otherwise there is no clear pattern that I have noticed.

I don't know if this pic helps or not, but it's bigger and pretty clear. His banding is not as present.
http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/male2.jpg

Thanks!

Cam

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yep, this is A. sp. Nanay/Melgar (not A. sp. Nanay/Römer, which is A. sp. Papagei/Parrot). It can have a few rows of spots in the caudal fin or none at all. It is closely related to A. cruzi, A. sp. Putumayo, and may be the same as A. sp. Orangestreifen/Orange-stripes.

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks very much for the help! It will help me to get my tank tuned for him, as well as in getting an extra female or two for him!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….