• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

will this couple breeding? A.nijsseni

gerald

5 Year Member
Are you sure the bigger fish is a male? Looks like it might be an older female; some females can get slightly male-like coloring and longer fins as they get older, especially when there's not a male living with them.

EDIT: My comment above is probably wrong. I just looked at your previous thread, in which the last photo does look like a male, and they are young fish. But still, he's not as blue as a mature male nijsseni should be. It looks like your female matured earlier and the male is not quite ready.

Last edited:

zhihuai1982

5days have passed, i have never seen eggs/larvae in the tank, and the female obviously in the dominant position. sometimes she bited the male. I don't know what happens in this couple, what should I do next.

zhihuai1982

IMG_1877.jpg

what the female looks like now

zhihuai1982

because of the Chinese spring festival, I have went my parents' home, and left the fish without feeding them for about 5 days.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all !!

I agree with Mike... it looks like the yellow female is guarding eggs/fry.. A typical behaviour when she want to see/control the male is doing his "job". (Taking care of the territory while she guard the eggs)
Showing her belly(1) + pressuring water(2) towards the male probably is a kind of body language, telling him :

1 - she is not challenging him being the most dominant one.
2 - by pushing/pressuring a lot of water toward him, he will probably "feel" her strength/determination and understand that she wants him to continue to guard his/their territory..( As many fishes , Apistos can feel pressure in water by the pores in the lateral side line of their body..)

But there are a few things that I wonder.. Did you change any water before you filmed this video?? (10-20minutes earlíer or so?)
It looks like air bubbles on the heater....??

If you had changed some water - you might get some issues explained by this thread ? (concerning guardian couple fighting, when one changes water..)
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...reed-apistogramma-atahualpa.15268/#post-81035

I have also experienced eggs dying when mixing new water in to a tank..(not knowing eggs were layed..)

That may also be the reason why she is back to "normal" behaviour after a couple of days..
(But I think the "male" looks a little odd for being a male/nijsseni ??)

/MickeM

zhihuai1982

Hi all !!

I agree with Mike... it looks like the yellow female is guarding eggs/fry.. A typical behaviour when she want to see/control the male is doing his "job". (Taking care of the territory while she guard the eggs)
Showing her belly(1) + pressuring water(2) towards the male probably is a kind of body language, telling him :

1 - she is not challenging him being the most dominant one.
2 - by pushing/pressuring a lot of water toward him, he will probably "feel" her strength/determination and understand that she wants him to continue to guard his/their territory..( As many fishes , Apistos can feel pressure in water by the pores in the lateral side line of their body..)

But there are a few things that I wonder.. Did you change any water before you filmed this video?? (10-20minutes earlíer or so?)
It looks like air bubbles on the heater....??

If you had changed some water - you might get some issues explained by this thread ? (concerning guardian couple fighting, when one changes water..)
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...reed-apistogramma-atahualpa.15268/#post-81035

I have also experienced eggs dying when mixing new water in to a tank..(not knowing eggs were layed..)

That may also be the reason why she is back to "normal" behaviour after a couple of days..
(But I think the "male" looks a little odd for being a male/nijsseni ??)

/MickeM

hi MickeM

i haven't change water in these days, and i also have no ideas about bubbles on the heater. Maybe the male is too young. now i seperate this couple in two tanks. i want to know if the female will still in its yellow mood without the male one?

MickeM

5 Year Member
the water value: temp 24.5C, tds 56, ph 5.9

may be the temperature is too low?
the size of my tank is 25cm*30cm*30cm, maybe too small to breeding

Hi !

Maybe the eggs were not fertilized ?? ( Partner "mismatch" ? )
Then she will guard the eggs until they get fungus/dies.. then back to "normal"..

A friend of mine got Ap.baenschi fry in a 3 liter plastic tank with only a few Microsorium sp.+ sphagnum, while waiting to see which standard tank to put them in.. (A couple who had been breeding once before , and it resulted in fry.., then the male might have learnt to be friendly to her??!!??)

Another friend got Ap. agassizii laying eggs in the transportation plastic bag on his way home from an exhibition !!!!
As long as they are in the mood and not are "afraid/panicing/fighting" they will try I guess !!!:) (If they are ready+ water OK )

zhihuai1982

Hi !

Maybe the eggs were not fertilized ?? ( Partner "mismatch" ? )
Then she will guard the eggs until they get fungus/dies.. then back to "normal"..

A friend of mine got Ap.baenschi fry in a 3 liter plastic tank with only a few Microsorium sp.+ sphagnum, while waiting to see which standard tank to put them in.. (A couple who had been breeding once before , and it resulted in fry.., then the male might have learnt to be friendly to her??!!??)

Another friend got Ap. agassizii laying eggs in the transportation plastic bag on his way home from an exhibition !!!!
As long as they are in the mood and not are "afraid/panicing/fighting" they will try I guess !!!:) (If they are ready+ water OK )

thanks MickeM, i have put the male one to a bigger tank to help him grow faster, then i can see whether it is A. nijsseni. and try again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….