• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wild pair of apistogramma agassizi rio negro "blue" spawend

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Hello Apisto friends, i haven't been around for a while but well now that my apistos decided to breed i wanted to share a bit of information for those of you wanting to breed them.

i have a 20gal long planted, a bunch of Swords, Vallisneria and other plants substrate is Flourite.

i got tired of looking at all the plants being so tight so i decided to get the driftwood out of it, giving the tank more space, i then added peat to the substrate making the tank look much much nicer, i also added a few almond leafs, and almost instantly after replanting and doing everything the wild pair of apistogramma agassizi rio negro "blue" decided to make a leaf their nest and next day there was eggs.

today i notices the small female moved wrigglers to the top of the leaf.

in the same tank i have 1 more pair of Apistos. & a baby bristlenose pleco.

(just Wondering)

has anyone breed apistogramma agassizi rio negro "blue" before?

Thanks for Reading

Juan

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Fry is 47 days now, and they are gaining size.

162.jpg

159.jpg

158.jpg

157.jpg

156.jpg

152.jpg

Female.
150.jpg

148.jpg

140.jpg

132.jpg

Male
130.jpg

129.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Juan, looking really good, fry look very well fed. Is the "L number" a small Common Bristlenose (Ancistrus sp. 3.)?
cheers Darrel

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
My best spawn of Apistogramma agassizi resulted from wild fish that were the same morph as yours although they were selected from a shipment of assorted Apistogramma spp made up mainly of A. bitaeniata and a few A. agassizi.
The 80 plus adults I raised were just like the parents. I only know them as Blue with white tail form and not by any specific location. I had those 9 years ago and they were only $4.98 each. I really like this Blue/white form. it is for me, the classic A. agassizi.
I had to buy some of the A. bitaeniata also of course. A deal is a deal.
Never had much luck raising my bitaeniata spawns but at least they spawn.
Never have kept a tank raised bitaeniata.

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
HI Guys sorry for posting so late, well better late then never right?

anywyas to answer few Questions and add to the Story.

Darrel the pleco is not Species 3 (i had them but lost them) they are from my longfin female and shortfin male.

The Mom, seems to be either guarding another batch or not interested in taking care of the almost Juvies the male is doing all the work now (i think thi is how it goes in the wild Females role is done so then she gets ready for next batch ) the male is awesome, hes got a more goldish coloration when hes relax and colors explode when someone trys to come near fry.

I just set up 2 10gallons, to put my 2 pairs in very simple set up BB tanks, i put 1 plant on a clay pot on each of the tanks and an upside down claypot making a cave effect.

i'm about 70% sure that they will not like this set up as it doesnt have enlough cover, so im going to go searching for Oak leafs or buy a few Almond leafs so i can give it a little be more natural look and cover for them.

i will post pictures later tonight to show you guys the set up and the babies again.

Thanks for Reading

Juan

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hi Juan,
Your Ancistrus is Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus AKA Ancistrus sp 3.
All the albinos, piebalds and all their long fin variations are one and the same species.

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
maybe i can post a picture of parents this way we can be sure Apistomaster?

Hi Juan,
Your Ancistrus is Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus AKA Ancistrus sp 3.
All the albinos, piebalds and all their long fin variations are one and the same species.

Like i promise here is the set up for breeding the apistogrammas, both 10gals.

L084.jpg

i hope you guys like it.

Any comments, Suggestions about it are Welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….