• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Import. Apistogramma viejita???

Tom C

5 Year Member
.. Can you guys have a look and share your thoughts..
If I may put my two cents in; The following makes me think that your fish is not A. viejita.

- Koslowski (Mike Wise's translation): "... a rather elongated form with a narrow mostly zigzag-like lateral band without distinct flank spots"
Your fish seems to have a quite wide lateral band.

- Koslowski (Mike Wise's translation): "... the highly extended dorsal fin has a bright red border."
I see no red border on your fish's dorsal fin.

- Koslowski (Mike Wise's translation): "... The soft-rayed parts of the dorsal and anal fins are noticeably more elongated than those of A. macmasteri."
The actual fins on your fish don't appear elongated at all.

I would love to be wrong...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
An interesting topic - and interesting fish Ste. They don't look exactly like the typical A. macmasteri, but not like A. viejita either. I'd be interested to see photos of the females and the males when the settle in.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This photo belongs to Ingo Koslowski and DATZ. It should not be used on the internet without permission - which I'm sure wasn't given. Can we remove this photo, please. ... and people wonder why I don't show some of my photos or apistos?

Rod

5 Year Member
This photo belongs to Ingo Koslowski and DATZ. It should not be used on the internet without permission - which I'm sure wasn't given. Can we remove this photo, please. ... and people wonder why I don't show some of my photos or apistos?

Post deleted...

For those that are interested.....the same image....probably illegal???.....appears here....(in middle at bottom)
http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=46716

I'm a hobbyist....I make no money from my hobby....I like to share information
I apologise if I've upset anyone looking to make commercial gain from my interest...
I was simply sharing images freely available to any idiot with a computer who can use goggle

Please let me know the commercial damage done....and I'll send a cheque

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks, Rod. The best method of using photos on the internet that don't belong to the poster is to do as you did the 2nd time: list the URL. DATZ allows fishbase to use their photos. The DATZ photos are the real A. viejita; the other fish are domestic, color-enhanced A. macmasteri. It seems that even a technical site like fishbase can make mistakes. They don't have experts on every type of fish.

ste12000

5 Year Member
An interesting topic - and interesting fish Ste. They don't look exactly like the typical A. macmasteri, but not like A. viejita either.

I'd be interested to see photos of the females and the males when the settle in.

Hi Mike, all... Just a update on these fish, they did indeed turn out to be A.macmasteri.. Not a bad thing as they are a particulary beautiful fish.. The female brought out her first spawn today and its been the first real chance to photograph them. They have settled beautifully and its amazing what a few weeks of good water and live foods can do to the condition of a fish..
DSCF8154.jpg

DSCF8149.jpg

DSCF8144.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….