• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Caught Apistos

Should I treat for parasites?

• Maybe... it could work for or against you.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! There is no need to.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

locus

5 Year Member
I'm picking up 5 wild caught A. sp. "Miua" this Friday, and am curious as to whether I should use any sort of anti-parasite treatment as a preventative measure.

These are the first wild-caught fish I will have had, they are coming via a local dealer to Australia - do you think any medication would have been administered already?

I've got a 10g quarrantine tank ready and waiting!

Randall

5 Year Member
Preventitive Measures

Dear Locus,

There's a chance that your new arrivals may have already been medicated by the original collector, the exporter, the distributor or a combination of the three.

If you have a quarantine tank ready to go, it might be a better idea to observe them closely and only medicate at the first sign of trouble. After four or so consecutive weeks of quarantine with no symptoms, you should be in the clear.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

I agree with Randall. My philosophy is to only treat when absolutely necessary. I may have suffered some problems in the past from this position, but I think that I have reduced the unnecessary stresses to many a fish that I might have caused when clean water and good food was all that was needed. Randall makes a good point about not knowing whether they have already gone through the treatment regime.
I say keep a close eye on them and treat is there is a reason.

Neil

Anonymous

5 Year Member
Hi locus, Really glad to know there are ones in WA who appreciate some good quality fish such as apisto, I've seen too many poor quality apisto mainly caca in Perth. Can I ask where you bought them or through whom, cos I am interested as well. My suggestion for you to prepare the apisto tank would be to lower the ph of the water and ensure the water has been stabllilized or cycled before intro of fish. Enjoy! :) Would the shop by any chance be Vebas'??

Anonymous

5 Year Member
Hi locus, Really glad to know there are ones in WA who appreciate some good quality fish such as apisto, I've seen too many poor quality apisto mainly caca in Perth. Can I ask where you bought them or through whom, cos I am interested as well. My suggestion for you to prepare the apisto tank would be to lower the ph of the water and ensure the water has been stabllilized or cycled before intro of fish. Enjoy! :) Would the shop by any chance be Vebas'??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….