• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apisto vs Czech Apisto

blueblue

5 Year Member
fredmir1 said:
Which are better Apisto for breeding and so on

Wild Apisto or Czech Apisto

George

Hi Geroge, both have their benefits and it also depends on the species;
e.g., for Hongsloi, Czech's tank-bred is more colourful than wild-caught,
and can be used for breeding to yield more red F1.

For many others, such as bita, diplo, and Mendezi, wild-caught will be much
better.

aspen

5 Year Member
i believe that it makes a huge difference whether you are adept at using meds to treat wild fish. imo, it is absolutely imperitive to clean new wild fish of any kind for worms and etc before considering them to be breeders.

i have found most apistos from czech to be pretty healthy, they are bred almost exclusively in small home breeding set-ups, organised into co-operative selling situations. apparently trucks will go around and collect orders from many different home breeders when orders are filled. quite a nice situation for home breeders, the fish species kept is very wide and they seem to be quite healthy.

rick

blueblue

5 Year Member
well, to some extent, wild-caught fish from reputable traders
are not less-healthy compared to any tank-bred species,
owning to the strength of natural life. Moreover, it is my
personal experience that many good wild-caught apistos,
especially of species such as bita, eliza, and double-bands,
they are even stronger than the tank-bred ones
and are less likely to be infected
with some big problems, such as the diseases brought by fishMB...

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I had some wildcaught fish and some directly from Czech breeder.
I would say the wild are more robust and healthy, provided they didn't cought sth at the wholesaler or shop. there may be initial difficulties with feeding and they could have parasites (never happened to me), but in general they are the ofsprings of "survival of the fittest" program.

I've been to one Czech fishfarm (family business with perhaps 80 bigger tanks) with very nice apistos but their lifespan in my and my friends' tanks were short. it was also quite hard to identify the problem. genetics could be involved, as the starting breeding stock is usually quite small.

then there's the matter of "pure blood" - macmasteri, hongsloi, agassizi and viejita are fine examples of mixing different species to get better colour. not necessarily on purpose, some 10 years ago the fish were treated as one species since they bred giving fertile juveniles.

ernstvangenne

5 Year Member
I don't like the ex. from Tsjec, they use often much antibiot.:eek: who/why, it is still a secret for me. Often 20 o/o off the fishes are death within a few weeks. I am glad that my A. elisabethae from Tsj. is still alive, (after four weeks) :rolleyes:
ernst

blueblue

5 Year Member
Greg PL said:
I had some wildcaught fish and some directly from Czech breeder.
I would say the wild are more robust and healthy, provided they didn't cought sth at the wholesaler or shop. there may be initial difficulties with feeding and they could have parasites (never happened to me), but in general they are the ofsprings of "survival of the fittest" program.

I've been to one Czech fishfarm (family business with perhaps 80 bigger tanks) with very nice apistos but their lifespan in my and my friends' tanks were short. it was also quite hard to identify the problem. genetics could be involved, as the starting breeding stock is usually quite small.

Hi Greg PL: Yup, i have the same kind of experience and feeling, too :)

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I was impressed by the breeding fascility that I visited. it seemed to me that more than 95% of the brood survived and they all looked healthy. they were fed with live food - artemia, then cyclops and other small critters. tap water was used (1-2 dGH) and I saw no signs of any medicines there.
It's just that we couldn't keep them alive for more than 1-3 months, with very few exceptions.
the breeding pairs and then youngsters are kept in 1- or 2-species tanks, while we usually have more in our tanks, with some dither fish. perhaps that was the reason, even though quarantine time has been used every time.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
This topic is interesting for me because I work at a local fish store. What is your opinion on German tankraised Apistos?

blueblue

5 Year Member
HaakonH said:
This topic is interesting for me because I work at a local fish store. What is your opinion on German tankraised Apistos?

German tank-bred apistos have the best coloration, espeically
the "super red" kind of eliza, hongsloi, and aggie. ^.^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….