• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wierd growth...

JasonC

5 Year Member
Hi all, I've got an Orange Flash Cac that has an unusual growth on his tail fin... it only seems to be on one side, and is the same color as his tail.. it is currently about 1/16" - 1/8" diameter, and has definitely been growing recently. It does not seem to cause the fish discomfort, nor affect his behavior that I can notice.

Any ideas what this is? Should I be concerned?

I can provide pics if needed... just let me know...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might be an encysted worm. I see them a lot on pond raised livebearers. They are easy to remove with a needle. To be sure, I'd need to see pictures to be sure.

JasonC

5 Year Member
Sorry for the delay on getting these pics... holiday season "fun"...

I have attached 2 pictures... one of the growth side of the caudal, one of the opposite side to show that it does not grow through the tail.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

4149471463_1f957df774_o.jpg

4149471485_7cec9e8d8a_o.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The cauliflower-like shape of the growth indicates that it is caused by Lymphocystis, a viral disease. Like most viri, there is no antibiotic that affects it. The good thing is that, although ugly, it rarely is lethal nor highly contagious. The fish's own immune system usually cures it, provided the fish is kept in optimal condition.

JasonC

5 Year Member
thanks for the diagnosis Mike! Its good to hear that its not too bad of a thing. What should I shoot for to get near "optimal conditions"? Also, how long should I expect it would take to clear up?

Thanks again!!

fishgeek

an alternative and equally benign option could be a pigment cell tumour

the colour just make me think that as i have only seen pale lymphocytosis and pigment tumours on gold fish ...

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Andrew is as knowledgable about diseases of fish as anyone that I know. Either problem can be eliminated by carefully cutting the growth off the fin. Then put it in very clean water to recuperate.

JasonC

5 Year Member
How would I go about performing the surgery? Is this something that a veritable noob can do with a little careful attention, or should I just leave him be?

Thanks again!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Take the fish out of the water, put it on a clean, very damp cloth, cover the head and body with cloth, and carefully scrape growth off of the tail with a sterile scalpel or Exacto (drafting/cutting) blade. When done cover the wound with a small bit of alcohol on a cotton swab (Q-tip) and put in a very clean quarantine tank. Don't keep the fish out of water for more than 5 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….